• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meliswan
    Applique Angel
    • Apr 2014

Sad and good news

A little over a month ago I posted about my grandmother going into hospice care. The drs told us she had about two weeks and she made three. She didn't know that she was dying and we didn't see the point in telling her. We had three very good weeks with her to visit and say our goodbyes (while she was sleeping). The night she passed was unexpected (yes, we knew it was coming but it didn't feel like it was going to be then). Between me, my mom, and my daughter we took turns sitting up with her all night. Among her other problems she had sundowners syndrome, so even though she was weak she could move very quickly and quietly at night and wouldn't stay in bed. My mom awake at 2:30 Saturday morning a week before Christmas because she could smell cookies very strongly. Mom asked DD if she was baking, she said no and went to bed. About 10 mins later my mom could tell by grandmas breathing that she was nearing the end of her time on earth. So my mother sat holding her hand for about 15 mins and my grandmother passed very peacefully in her sleep. I get chill bumps when I think of how my mom woke up. We believe that my Meme called her to be with her. She was a wonderful cook, and loved baking all kinds of goodies for everybody.

The good news is I have managed to talk my mom into moving from TX to GA to live with me. She had taken an early retirement last year to care for my grandmother full time. So now I get to have my mom with me all the time. She sewed clothes and stuff for us when we were kids, but hasn't done any sewing in a long time. I told her I would teach her to quilt! Also, she LOVES to iron! I know, she's weird, but now I don't have to iron my fabric or blocks because she wants to do it for me!! My DH is excited because she said that she would iron his shirts for him too! It's no secret around my house that I don't like ironing.

So now for the next 6 weeks I will be running around like crazy person getting my house ready for her!! I am so excited to have my mom moving in with me!

Thanks for listening
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Sad and good news

Melissa, sorry for the loss of your grandmother. At least you got to spend time with her and she wasn't alone when she passed. How wonderful that your Mother will be moving in. I have no doubt the two of you will have a whale of a time sewing together. Happy New Year to you all.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Bubby
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2011

Meli, I'm sorry you lost your precious Grandma. It was a blessing you got so much good time with her and that she didn't pass alone. Great news that your Mom is coming to live with you.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• songbird857
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2014

Oh Meli - such a bittersweet time for you.
        I'm sorry about your grandmother's passing. I'm overjoyed for you at the prospect of your mother moving in with you!! Hugs...

Comment

• meliswan
          Applique Angel
          • Apr 2014

Thanks! Because of DH's job we have been gone from TX for 13 yrs. while I do miss my Meme, I am overjoyed that I will get to see my mom all the time. I have so many plans for us. It has been such a long time since she has had any free time. Here is a pic of my mom(64) and Meme(86) taken July 2014. Pic of DD(21) DS(16) from this summer. He didn't want his pic taken, can you tell?

IMG_0145.JPG
          IMG_1567.jpg
          Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

• pjyoder414@yahoo.com
            Designer Diva
            • Sep 2016

so sorry to hear of your loss. but very happy for you that mom will coming to live with you.
            Have a blessed day
            Pam[/I]
            [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

• Midge
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2014

So sorry you lost your Grandma. How fortunate you were that you and your mom could be with her at the end. And what a silver lining that your mom can move in with you. I see many happy hours together ahead for the two of you in the sewing room.

Comment

• Sharyn J
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

I'm so sorry for your loss and happy that you were able to be with her. Your sorrow will be replaced with joy when your mom arrives and you'll be able to spend time together. Sending hugs.

Comment

• Anna Leigh
                  Quilting Royalty
                  • Sep 2016

Ah, that is so awesome with the baking smells. Before my grandmother passed she told everyone that she saw her mother in her room at night. My great-grandmother passed in the early 1970's. If I remember right it was a nightly occurrence until she passed. My grandmother was waiting for my dad's youngest sister to see her before she died but it did not happen. My Aunt was on her way up from southern Ohio and did not make it in time to say good bye. My grandmother finally let go knowing that she was on her way. Sorry to hear about your loss but you are gaining too. It is good to hear that you have a wonderful relationship with your mother that you would want her to move in with you. Not everyone has that. I love my mother but I would have to have an separate small cottage for my mother to live in if we were to live on the same property. She is very my like Emily Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. Love her, but distance is a good thing.

Comment

• Lacey
                    9 Patch Princess
                    • Aug 2016

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Grandmother. It was amazing that the strong smell of cookies baking woke up your Mom and she could be with her Mom as she passed. How nice to have your Mom move in with you; have fun sewing together. Life really can be bittersweet sometimes.
                    I am a quilter and my house is in pieces.

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

My sympathies on the death of your grandma. Enjoy the time with your mom.

Comment

• geegeequilts
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2015

I am so excited for you that your Mom will be moving in with you! My Mom passed 5 1/2 yrs ago from complications from Alzheimer's. She never knew I had started quilting. Enjoy her while she's with you as I know you will. If she gets tired of ironing your fabric/blocks I'll be glad to "let" her iron mine, lol!

Gina

Comment

• Iris Girl
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2013

So sorry to hear of the loss of your grandma. So happy you will get more time with your Mom. You will have a blast sewing with her!
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

• dwil23
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2012

Sorry to hear about your MeMe, but with change, good things come to you, too. I lost my Mom over 20 years ago, so enjoy each day - even though you could get on each other's nerves - every now and then ;-).
                            Donna

Comment

• seaturtle
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2015

Sorry to hear of the loss of you grandmother and glad you were able to be with her for her final days. Happy to hear you'll have your mom with you now.
                              Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X