Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gifting a Quilt

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gifting a Quilt

Sometimes we talk about our gifted quilts not being appreciated. Today was different for me!
    Back a couple of months ago I threw together a twin quilt with some orphan blocks and backed it with a heavy cotton. I didn't give it a border which it really needed and I didn't like the way it looked so I put it in a stack of quilts that would go to charity.
    A couple of months ago my dear hubby's uncle has started shopping at the grocery store where hubby works. (he doesn't have contact with his family) We found out his uncle is living in a house with no electricity or water and most of the windows are broken out of the house. The people in the other half of the duplex let him use an extension cord to run a small fridge, lamp and tv. At Christmas I wrapped that not very pretty quilt and told my hubby to take it to his uncle. Hubby was very apprehensive and asked was I sure I wanted to do that but I told him I was sure so he took the quilt over.
    Today hubby came home for lunch and handed me a piece of notebook paper that was folded and had my name written on the outside. When I opened it I started balling like a baby. I've never had anyone thank my so sweetly. Hubby said his uncle had actually apologized for not having better paper to write on which made me cry even more. Out of all the quilts I've made in 30 years the ugliest one meant the most to someone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	note 001.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	138801

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gifting a Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    . Out of all the quilts I've made in 30 years the ugliest one meant the most to someone.
    Every quilt will have a purpose. Whether it's used as a security blanket, a symbol of love, a work of art, or stuffed in a closet to be rediscovered by a relative or a buyer at a thrift store it will eventually become meaningful to someone. The joy of creating and giving and the sincere thank you that you received is touching.

That's why I believe there are no ugly quilts!

3. Thanks Sylvia H, SallyO'Sews, bhaggerty, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful story and memory for you.

5. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's really sweet, but I was wondering why none of his family is helping him out. Made me sort of sad.

Lorie

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews, bhaggerty, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now, I'm crying!

God bless you all and Uncle Mark!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I also teared -up. Uncle Mark seems to be a person deserving of lots of help.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

11. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please pass the tissues, crocodile tears streaming down my face.

13. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    That's really sweet, but I was wondering why none of his family is helping him out. Made me sort of sad.
    I am going to try to answer your question without sounding judgemental or unkind. My husband comes from a family that is always looking for a hand out but not a hand up. Very early in our marriage his family members constantly had a problem or emergency that needed our money, vehicle, child care services or extra bedroom. Unfortunately they couldn't conceive of also taking our advice on how to improve their situation. We had to extricate ourselves from the family so that we could have a life and a marriage. As giving and tenderhearted people it was very hard for us but we have realized the wisdom of this decision and have no guilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    I am going to try to answer your question without sounding judgemental or unkind. My husband comes from a family that is always looking for a hand out but not a hand up. Very early in our marriage his family members constantly had a problem or emergency that needed our money, vehicle, child care services or extra bedroom. Unfortunately they couldn't conceive of also taking our advice on how to improve their situation. We had to extricate ourselves from the family so that we could have a life and a marriage. As giving and tenderhearted people it was very hard for us but we have realized the wisdom of this decision and have no guilt.
    And you shouldn't ever feel guilty. I'm a firm believer in helping those who need a boost up, and not enabling those who refuse to take steps to improve their situation. I commend your husband for rising above the example that it sounds like was set for him at a younger age. I suspect your love and encouragement had a great deal to do with that too!

16. Thanks Juliet Taylor, Carolnnc, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No quilt is ever too ugly to be loved by someone.

18. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post