Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Red face It's been a very long time

Hello all!

It's been forever and a day since I have been on here. I see so many new names. I feel like I am starting from the beginning again. I took hiatus from sewing and just about everything else. That blasted thing called life interfered with fun stuff!

So after 2 years of asking for santa to bring me an embroidery machine, he felt that I had been good all year and under my tree was a PE-770!

Now is the never-ending task of trying to learn what the heck I am supposed to do with it. I have been online watching videos, reading posts, and SHOPPING for accessories. FUN STUFF!

I am anxious to get back to regular sewing. The last thing I made was in June and that was a Game of Thrones wallet. Finding time to do things is a bit harder to do. So out of all the hunting online for info about the PE-770, I am coming to the experts. I'm not asking for anything specific, but I just need some direction as to where to start. I have seen a few videos on unpacking the machine from the box, setting it up, threading, and how to hook up the frame. I think I got that part down. The threading and buttons are not that different than the PC-420 sewing machine. But that is where the familiarity ends.

Is there a step by step tutorial on how to embroider something very simple? It's that first time that is the hardest. I feel like I am missing something. Either the videos show how to set up the machine or they show how to embroider a name and silhouette on a towel. That's a bit advanced for me right now. I haven't even turned the machine on yet.

Where does someone who is as green as a clover go for basic lessons? My local stores don't offer lessons so I am at the mercy of the internet. I now bow at the feet of the sewing gods and goddesses. Where do I start? A lesson on how to do the first design? Something that's simple, basic, and a one color design? A letter? On a towel, tee shirt, or just a piece of cloth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now it's time to look around and see all the cool things you all have been doing over the last year. Nice to see some are still doing the NCW.

- Joanne
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

2. Thanks giig21, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's been a very long time

Hi Joanne, welcome back! I can't help with your machine but congratulations! Someone will be able to help you. Have fun with your new toy.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joanne!

Welcome Back! Oh you are going to have fun with your machine. Have you done EMB before or starting new?

Check the Floriani website for resources and information. There is a stabilizer workbook to assist you with types and uses. For stabilizer remember "hoop if you can hoop" and "fuse if you can fuse". These are methods that typically get better stitching results on your projects. Many times, I add a lightweight fusible stabilizer to the background fabric or applique fabric to add support.

Did you get the bobbin in correctly? Remember to pull the thread off a little bit and make it look like a "p" in your hand. Bobbin thread come off bobbin on left. The "p" is "perfect".

Also check your design file for stitch count and size. Match these to what your machine allows.

The Brother site has FAQ and Troubleshooting section specific to your machine that may also help you.

Most of all...have Fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask she r bayou got t h e game of thrones fabric

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my PE 770. Can't really point you to any good tutorials other than Vince Arcuri, he knows what he is talking about, but is rather long winded. There is also a very good FB group for new and seasoned users. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...vanced%20users

I had never used an embroidery machine in my life, but I just jumped in with both feet and did it. My favorite thing to do is applique, but I also like doing towels. I have bought tons of designs and fonts on line....(the built in ones aren't all that great). Designs by JuJu, and Embrilibrary, are a couple I use. I mostly use medium tear away, medium cut away, poly mesh and water soluble stabilizers. Get good needles, ( I buy Organ Embroidery 75/11 from Amazon, and 75/11 ball point...you need these for knits) that is the brand that Brother recommends.
    There are some great resources to learn which type of stabilizer for what kind of fabric... I will say if you embroidery on quilting cotton, starch the heck out of it.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

howdy and welcome back to the forum!

Congratulations on the new machine! I hope you have some time to play with it and quilt too.

There's an embroidery group here that has a lot of information - sites for designs, sites for stabilizers and whatnot. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=154 is the link to it.

Go to Embroidery Library - http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx - and go to the Help tab. There are a few articles that can help you get started. And they have two monthly free designs that you can play with if you like. Or your machine probably has a few too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back, Joanne!
    I am sure you'll get the hang of your new machine any day now! IT does take practice!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend that you first read your owner's manual. Then, join the machine embroidery group here at M*. The Group is great about answering questions, but you can also ask on the general forum. Start with something simple, without too many thread colors. Don't forget about YouTube. Do a search for beginner machine embroidery and a whole world of information will open up to you. I do a lot of machine embroidery and you can pm me anytime.

Here are some of my favorite places to look and buy. For designs: www.emblibrary.com www.urbanthreads.com. There are also some nice designs on Etsy. For thread you can't beat the quality or price at www.metrothreads.com.

Happy Stitching!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    Hi Joanne, welcome back! I can't help with your machine but congratulations! Someone will be able to help you. Have fun with your new toy.
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ Thank you. I have felt like I've been walking around in the woods for the last year. A warmth and understanding is always fould here.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol336 View Post
    Can I ask she r bayou got t h e game of thrones fabric
    I got the fabric at spoonflower.com
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!