Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default needles for hand sewing binding

It has been awhile since I have hand sewed.
    Am looking for suggestions for needles for hand sewing the binding. Apparently I am older than I realized and my vision and hand dexterity are less impressive than they were a few years ago.

Any old f*&rts out there have suggestions for needles that maybe are longer or have larger eyes for threading, for this particular purpose?

thanks!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: needles for hand sewing binding

Bernice (stitching woman) showed me how she does it. She uses John James betweens, and the clover needle threader. That combo works great. I couldn't get the threader to work with my betweens. I switched to the John James after Bernice showed me, and have no problems since then.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ask Bernice. I forget what size needle she uses - was it 11? Really small suckers.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Donna: I have limited vision since a retina detachment did not re-attach. I found Richard Hemming & Son Large eye Needles, Milliners Size 9 to be perfect for me. They do have a large eye, very thin very sharp, and are longer than quilting needles. Easier for arthritic hands. I use the Bohn threader, it threads every single time. My ongoing forever project is a Cathedral Windows quilt partially hand sewn and have no problems using those needles. In fact, I use them for ALL hand sewing needs and they are perfect. I simply love them and are the only needles I buy.
    Murphy

5. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us who use the Clover needle threader, remember you need needles with oval eyes. It will not thread needles with round eyes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Boy you girls are really good at remembering what I said!

Yes, I do use a size 11 John James needle and the Clover needle therader. I love the small needles for me they are the essential but you may find that a size 9 works better for you.
    Bernice

8. Thanks BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitching woman View Post
    Boy you girls are really good at remembering what I said!

Yes, I do use a size 11 John James needle and the Clover needle therader. I love the small needles for me they are the essential but you may find that a size 9 works better for you.
    That's because you are so darn unforgettable! All I know is you are the Exalted Goddess of Binding (boB bows head in awe and respect)!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I use Japanese embroidery needles for hand sewing and have for years. They have a nice long narrow eye so it's easy to thread but still goes threw fabrics (even denim!) easily. I tried John James and while I liked them, I still like my Japanese embroidery needles better.
    Patrice S

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    For those of us who use the Clover needle threader, remember you need needles with oval eyes. It will not thread needles with round eyes.
    Thanks for sharing this. I could not figure out why sometimes the Clover needle threader works really great and other times not at all. Now I get it, thank you

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    Hi Donna: I have limited vision since a retina detachment did not re-attach. I found Richard Hemming & Son Large eye Needles, Milliners Size 9 to be perfect for me. They do have a large eye, very thin very sharp, and are longer than quilting needles. Easier for arthritic hands. I use the Bohn threader, it threads every single time. My ongoing forever project is a Cathedral Windows quilt partially hand sewn and have no problems using those needles. In fact, I use them for ALL hand sewing needs and they are perfect. I simply love them and are the only needles I buy.
    Murphy
    Thank you Murphy!