Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Sewing Room Set-up

Seven months ago, a water pipe burst in our second-floor bathroom while we were away on a business trip. The entire house was flooded for nearly two weeks! Extensive repair and renovation, including mold remediation, took five and a half months. We've been home about two months. Now I have time to re-establish my sewing room that we call "Craftopia," and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I lost all the furniture in the sewing room to water damage except for the sewing table, which has metal legs, and my Singer Stylist sewing machine. I lost all my fabric stash with the exception of one plastic tub; everything else was on an open shelf or my cutting table, so there was extensive water and mold damage.

I don't have an unlimited budget so I need some advice. Do you use those sets of plastic storage drawers? Do you invest in wood bookcases for shelving? Do you know of anyplace that sells furniture specifically for quilting, or do I have to get someone to build furniture for me?

Any and all advice will be deeply appreciated!

Cynthia Astle, Dallas, TX

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Sewing Room Set-up

Oh, gosh - so sorry you had such an ordeal!

When we renovated our "back room" I cleared everything out and when the room was done I didn't just put stuff back in willy nilly and try to work I t out I went to Ikea (we had to tear our the back wall due to sagging as the original owners didn't support the roof properly when they enclosed tge porch; since the wall was goinG anywsy, we had the contractor extend the room by about 3' too)

This room has to function as an office, guest room, and my sewing room, so it took some thinking (and more measuring & math than I ever want to do again, lol). We bought the LINNMON/ALEX table & legs, with the drawers like this:
    http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/S59932702/

We got a corner unit, a 4-ish foot table with no drawers to the left of the corner unit and an 80-ish" table with drawer units on each end so, basically a big "L" shape along two walls if that makes sense. Under the shorter table is this ALEX rolling drawer unit that I'm in love with:
    http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/20196242/

My thread is in the top drawer (DH cut a piece og pegboard to fit & I have pegs to hold the spools). 2nd drawer holds all my rulers & templates (eventually DH is going to build me a pegboard on the wall to hold all of them). The rest of the drawers hold precuts. I'm amazed at how many charm packs fit in that 3rd drawer, lol

Finally, we hung two KALLAX 4-cube shelves:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20275814/

These are pretty deep, actually. One of them is not used for sewing - it's full of stuff that has no other home, lol. The other one has my yardage, which I store upright after wrapping it around the cardboard used for comic books. Since the shelf is much deeper than that, behind the fabric are things I done use often - knitting pattern books, a set of foam squers for blocking knitting, etc.

I'd post pics, but the room is still a disaster after all the last minute holiday sewing....

4. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are making your way back into your sewing room again.

First, develop your plan. It's easy to use a notebook and graph paper with plastic sheet dividers for brochures and ideas. Write down what areas you need in the room.

Determine your storage needs. What items do you need to store? Will you re-grow a stash? Do you have a closet space with regular doors or folding doors? What is the size of your room? Windows and door placements?

Check out the container store and elfa drawer systems. Basically, it uses metal runners and then drawers in different height and width. I use 3 of them together with a big board on top for ironing space. These systems are nice as you purchase them one at a time as budget allows. Also they have sales during the year so that helps with costs.

The wire shelf systems work well for ironing stations also. Simply cut plywood to shape for the top shelf and cover with batting and the silver ironing fabric. Some units have wheels available so you can move them easily if needed.

The plastic scrap book boxes work well for storage on the additional closet shelves. Don't forget to use the back of the doors for storage also. Rulers, pegboard, etc can be put there.

For the sewing table, find one at a thrift store and cut a circle for a hole grommet for the cords. Easy and frugal.

At one time, I used the plastic bins for storing fabric. The problem was finding the right one with the fabric I wanted. Now fabric is ruler folded and stored on a closet shelf. One tip if you are using the plastic bins, purchase extra. They will change the style and be different the next time you need more.

Have fun planning your room & good luck!

6. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the suggestions so far. My one tip is to make sure you leave room for a design wall. I have no place in our home for one and this really irritates me. I have made portable pseudo design walls, but IMO nothing beats the real thing that is permanently on the wall and you can step back from it o get perspective on how your blocks are working together.

8. Thanks bhaggerty, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

No great ideas here. I just wanted to offer my sympathies. We went through something similar a couple years ago. I'm only now realizing how much worse it could have been. The pipes broken were in the space between the top level floor and the main level ceiling. The top floor didn't have damage and that is where my sewing room is. Lucky! I hope you are happy with how your restored space came out and have fun making a new space for quilting.

10. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they make furniture and storage units specifically for quilting. The mark up on these quilt specific items is outrageous You are fortunate that there is an IKEA located in Frisco (north of Dallas up the tollway or up highway 75 and over) IKEA offers the best value and flexibility to redo your "Craftopia". IKEA is much better priced than The Container Store and well worth the drive.

AMG has already provided some good IKEA ideas. Here are two other IKEA quilt craft rooms to get your creativity started. There are many others

http://quickanddirtyquilting.weebly....room-ikea-hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RDQUqJHaE
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

12. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Yes they make furniture and storage units specifically for quilting. The mark up on these quilt specific items is outrageous You are fortunate that there is an IKEA located in Frisco (north of Dallas up the tollway or up highway 75 and over) IKEA offers the best value and flexibility to redo your "Craftopia". IKEA is much better priced than The Container Store and well worth the drive.

AMG has already provided some good IKEA ideas. Here are two other IKEA quilt craft rooms to get your creativity started. There are many others

http://quickanddirtyquilting.weebly....room-ikea-hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RDQUqJHaE
    Great link! Which reminded me: We also got that gate leg table and I LOVE it - and the info on the link on how to extend the legs? BRILLIANT! I see a honey do" in dh's future

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those IKEA ideas are great! I use a plastic-coated metal 3-shelf unit from Target (not in the room organizer department - I wanted a really sturdy one, so I went to the auto section): http://www.target.com/p/adjustable-3...s/-/A-14484256 I like it because it holds a lot of weight, was easy to put together by myself, and the shelves are adjustable.

I also have a ton of those shoe-box size clear plastic boxes you can get at the dollar store (Wal-Mart sometimes has them for 88 cents). I put scraps/fat quarters/smallish pieces in these, sorted by color. You would be amazed by how much fabric you can stash in one of those puppies. I also use them for ribbons, thread, etc. Then I also have several larger boxes (approx. 17" x 12" by 7"), labeled for Christmas, Children, Batiks, Muslin, etc. And I have 2 large tubs for batting: one has large pieces still in the packaging, and one has scraps that I use for bag handles, or stitch together to make larger pieces (because I'm cheap, lol!). The big ones are stacked on top of each other.

I also have two of the plastic drawers on rollers, both of which fit under the folding table that is behind my sewing table.

I like the plastic boxes because they are cheap, have lids, and I can see at a glance what color is in each one. Plus since they really don't ever leave my sewing room, they don't have to be super durable.

Hope you are able to restore your Craftopia to its former glory quickly! Looking forward to pictures of the new space!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much to add except I am so sorry this happened to you. What an awful thing to come home to! The only suggestion I have for storage is if you get those plastic bins for your fabric, try to get the clear ones. They come in los of pretty colors but that makes it harder to see what you actually have stored inside--that is what color fabrics you have. Good luck. This sounds like a six month project!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spirit60cba@gmail.com View Post
    Seven months ago, a water pipe burst in our second-floor bathroom while we were away on a business trip. The entire house was flooded for nearly two weeks! Extensive repair and renovation, including mold remediation, took five and a half months. We've been home about two months. Now I have time to re-establish my sewing room that we call "Craftopia," and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I lost all the furniture in the sewing room to water damage except for the sewing table, which has metal legs, and my Singer Stylist sewing machine. I lost all my fabric stash with the exception of one plastic tub; everything else was on an open shelf or my cutting table, so there was extensive water and mold damage.

I don't have an unlimited budget so I need some advice. Do you use those sets of plastic storage drawers? Do you invest in wood bookcases for shelving? Do you know of anyplace that sells furniture specifically for quilting, or do I have to get someone to build furniture for me?

Any and all advice will be deeply appreciated!

Cynthia Astle, Dallas, TX
    Oh my... we had that happen to our finished basement a few years ago... and I can relate. But, NOT the whole house. Bless your heart!

My husband put shelves from ceiling to floor in the walk in closet in the bedroom I use for my Sewing room. So it's easy for me to walk in and grab what I need. I have a large long narrow basket on one shelf that holds my rulers, but I want a peg board and pegs to hang them. I have stacking metal baskets I picked up at "Big Lots" for my FQ stash. I have a rolling cart with plastic baskets that holds things in my closet too. I pick up empty card board bolt thingies for when I buy 2 yards or more. I have noticed in pictures I have seen, many quilters do use the plastic storage drawers you spoke about. So, if you like them... go for it.

I would love to help you out on getting a fresh stash... if you PM me your address, I will send you 1 layer cake, 1 jelly roll, a few Fat Quarters and a few charm packs to get you started! I might have a few extra yards of some cream back ground fabric too! Good luck with your new upstart!