Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Sewing Room Set-up

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I love the suggestions so far. My one tip is to make sure you leave room for a design wall. I have no place in our home for one and this really irritates me. I have made portable pseudo design walls, but IMO nothing beats the real thing that is permanently on the wall and you can step back from it o get perspective on how your blocks are working together.
    YES YES YES!! You need a design wall! It like my right hand in my quilt room! Mine is portable, I have two... a small one and a large one. I bought flannel and some white fleece, and a foam ceiling sheet, 4 by 8 foot. Dh cut the top 3 foot off, so I have one 3x4 and one 4x5... I use one to layout quilts and the smaller to layout large blocks.... like my Big Four Season blocks. Helps so much when I start piecing those HST's into blocks. Indeed... you need a design board or wall.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I too have the IKEA table with drawer unit under the end as my sewing table. For my storage shelves and cutting table I bought the chrome shelving units they use in restaurant kitchens. They sell them in hardware stores and Costco stores as well. I ordered mine online. I got a five foot long one for my cutting table with the idea that I would mount the adjustable shelves on the bottom half as the frames are six feet tall. Thought I would have my husband cut them down for me but luckily when they arrived the six foot frame pieces were in two section that screwed together so I just didn't use the top half. My husband built a wood top for my cutting surface. I store plastic tubs of fabric on the shelves. I have a second one in my closet for additional plastic tubs of fabric.

3. Thanks spirit60cba@gmail.com thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

That is soo sad and horrible. I'm happy you're back at home.
    I store my fabric on open shelves (just like you) except my FQ's, charms or scraps, those go into a clear plastic tote.
    I think, after hearing about your terrible accident, that I am buying plastic totes for all of my fabric. I also have an adjustable shelf that is holding my totes and fabric. I bought it at a hardware store, Menard's or Lowe's, but you can get them anywhere.
    Best of luck on your mission and I will say a prayer for you and "Craftopia"
    Bec

5. Thanks spirit60cba@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had a leak or two in my homes, but nothing like yours. All my fabric is stored in plastic totes, either the smaller ones or large totes. I do use drawer units for some things. A wonderful forum friend helped me reorganize and reset my room last year after the clean up from last winter's water disaster! No fabric or machines were lost in the mess, just some soggy carpet which was replaced.

7. Thanks spirit60cba@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathize with you for having had so much damage, losing your fabric stash, etc. What a heartbreak. I reorganized my sewing room last year. I bought numerous sizes of plastic storage drawers. I bought most of mine at Wal-Mart. Maybe a few at Target. Feel free to look through my sewing room picture album.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for all the troubles you have had. I suggest searching Pinterest for some storage ideas. Also try thrift stores, Craigslist, flea markets, and garage sales for furniture that you can repurpose. It will take some effort, but you will feel great showing off the stuff you created! Going in that direction could also save you some money.
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing! I'll check out your photos!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this suggestion! I was in the process of creating a design wall when all the trouble happened. You've reminded me how important this is as I continue to get re-established.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions! Thanks for sharing!