Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stumped loading MSQ thread

Hope someone can help. I pulled out my new MSQ thread to load a bobbin and begin quilting. This is a different design for me with the large base of the thread being to the left on the pin in order for the thread to flow out from under. Problem is there are ridges along that base that stop the thread in its tracks. What am I doing wrong/missing? Thanks for help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stumped loading MSQ thread

Turn your spool around so it feeds in the other direction. I have to do that all the time with my Janome machines and I've had no issues. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welp, that did the trick! Thanks, Barb! I thought it was against the law (or something) to have thread coming over the top of the spool. Thanks again for your prompt response!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On Aurifil thread, the big end of the spool comes off, and can be put on the other end. Maybe with MSQ thread too?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I tried, but couldn't get it off - it does "snap" back and forth a bit but that's it. Then again, I don't have much strength in my hands. If there is a trick to it, would love to know. I am using it as Barb suggested and the top stitching looks really nice, but I'm not liking the bottom stitching at all - looks like a tension issue which I have never had a problem with. I just rethreaded bobbin and top... will see how that goes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have NO idea what you're talking about. The thread pulls off the small end just fine on all my machines.
    MY FW has a stand thingy on top, so the thread goes upwards instead of spinning the spool.
    My Viking 21a has the old style spool pins, and I honestly let it sit and spin off even though it should be on a stand, it sews fine without it.
    My Viking Emerald 183 has both a lying down one with a cap, and a stand up one, and I use the lying down one for the M* thread.
    My Singer 500 needs the stand, but bascially no matter the machine config, the thread come right off the small end with no problems.
    I have more machines, but I haven't tried them all. Maybe I will encounter this issue and the light will go on. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On the newer sewing machines there is a specific way the thread should come off the pool to make the best stitches. It's sort of like the over/under toilet paper thingy. My newer machines have a horizontal spool pin and the owners manual says the thread should pull off the spool from under the spool rather than over the spool. Some machines are really fussy not only about which way the thread comes off the spool but also what brand of thread they will work with.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thread_Singer_500a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	138670

The Turquoise is not M* thread, but it goes like that. The others are M* thread.

Name:	Thread_Viking_Emerald183.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	138671

Name:	Thread_Viking_FW.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	138672