Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another day of Quilting . . . and this 'thread' is all about 'thread'!!

I'm working on a t-shirt quilt for/with my DGD
    . . . and we're using 'invisible thread' on the top of the quilt and a gray poly thread for the back/bobbin . . . when it works the invisible thread does just what we hoped . . you can barely see it. Unfortunately it keeps getting hung up on the spool pin (horizontal) and if I don't catch it, it breaks the thread - - - bummer! I've tried to figure out what's causing the 'hang up' but the spool edge is smooth and there's no other reason I can identify.

I'm wondering if there is one brand better than another and if anyone can suggest what you recommend?
    The thread I'm using is identified as 'EZ Quilting Stitch Thru Invisible Thread .004 nylon - Excellent for Quilting'. I've had it in my thread box for a while and since it was a full spool I decided to use it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

"B"
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another day of Quilting . . . and this 'thread' is all about 'thread'!!

Maybe try a thread net so It doesn't come off so fast. You can get this and cut it to size. Super cheap.

http://craftingisfun.com/leinettingandtubing.aspx

Lorie

3. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another day of Quilting . . . and this 'thread' is all about 'thread'!!

...or try the vertical spool pin?

I've used Superior's monopoly without issue.

5. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My machine has two pieces for the thread to come off the spool. The smaller piece is for smaller spools of thread. It is a tad wider than the spool and keeps the thread away from the end. The larger one is great because you can use it for a regular sized spool of thread or a small one and it keeps the thread even further way from the spool edge. I am not sure what they are called. Some of them come with a felt piece that you stick between the spool and the machine to keep it spinning so it will not hang up too.
    a picture...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoolcap.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	138184and a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-TH...-/200447008609
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that depending on how the thread is wrapped on the spool it determines if the thread is designed to come off the spool vertically or horizontally. So if the thread is wrapped criss cross fashion versus even wound there is a difference in how your spool should sit. Unfortunately I don't remember which direction it should be. I believe that I thought at the time of reading it my Aurifil was not on the correct way and mine is upright but with a spool holder the thread is guided through a thread guide so that should solve that issue. I hope some of this makes sense.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of thread netting - but it makes sense since this crazy thread doesn't seem to come off the spool neatly like normal thread, it kinda mushrooms out which is probably why it's hanging up on the spool pin so maybe the netting will keep it from doing that. Will have to try that - thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Maybe try a thread net so It doesn't come off so fast. You can get this and cut it to size. Super cheap.

http://craftingisfun.com/leinettingandtubing.aspx

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies - - the suggestion of using a stand or vertical pin instead of the horizontal pin I'm now using is worth a try. Also Lori may be on to something with the thread net. This thread is so 'unruly' it doesn't come off the spool like normal thread does - it's kinda all over the place. Tomorrow I'll try the vertical pin while I try to get the netting.

Thanks a bunch . . . . we may get this quilt done eventually . . . I hope!

"B"

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

yes, do check which way the thread is wound. I think that crosswise wound thread should be placed on the horizontal spool pin and straight wound thread, on the vertical spool pin. I've used monofilament with no issues but used the vertical spool thread and lowered my needle tension considerably to counter any stretch that might occur. Hope you get it sorted out.

11. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bscuzz View Post
    Never heard of thread netting - but it makes sense since this crazy thread doesn't seem to come off the spool neatly like normal thread, it kinda mushrooms out which is probably why it's hanging up on the spool pin so maybe the netting will keep it from doing that. Will have to try that - thanks for the tip.
    I made a mug rug with metallic thread and oh my gosh it was all over the place! The link I gave you is actually for making candy leis which are really popular for graduations etc. It's the same as the thread netting though, just in yardage. One of my quilt shops uses it over fabric that are on spools. Hawaiian fabric comes on a lot of spools for some reason. lol

ps you could use the netting to put on wrapping paper for storage!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; December 21st, 2016 at 05:25 AM.

Lorie

13. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you turn the spool around so that it comes off the other end? This seems to be a common problem with horizontal spool pins. I know some can't use the M* thread for this reason and their machine won't allow them to turn it backwards.
    Donna

15. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post