Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another day of Quilting . . . and this 'thread' is all about 'thread'!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Can you turn the spool around so that it comes off the other end? This seems to be a common problem with horizontal spool pins. I know some can't use the M* thread for this reason and their machine won't allow them to turn it backwards.

Thanks Donna - I thought about that except the 'thread keeper slit' of the spool is on the other side and with other threads I have had trouble with the thread catching in the slit and breaking . . so didn't want to take a chance. Sometimes, even using the larger gizmo that holds the thread on the spool, it doesn't prevent the thread catching in the slit.

As suggested by others, gonna try putting it on a vertical pin - the spool is straight-wound, so maybe that will work . . and I've ordered the thread net, too. Funny things you learn when you make a quilt!

Thanks again!
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another day of Quilting . . . and this 'thread' is all about 'thread'!!

My Juki thought on this issue - I'm using the Juki F600 . . and basically I love this machine - - - BUT on this Juki, she's Hazel in my sewing room, both the primary and secondary spool holders are *horizontal* - does that make any sense?? The secondary is removable and fits into a hole/indentation in the top of the machine. It just so happens that the cover to my 'seam ripper' fits this hole perfectly and is high enough to set a spool of thread on vertically - - - so chalk one up for ingenuity > > > which isn't my ingenuity, since I saw it on a sewing hack posted by Juki users!!

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this same problem . Thanks for posting about this issue. I have no idea what thread netting is. Does it go over the spool of thread?

4. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I have had this same problem . Thanks for posting about this issue. I have no idea what thread netting is. Does it go over the spool of thread?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	netting.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	138209

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...FQx7fgodHDAL-Q

But the lei netting is cheaper!

Lorie

6. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Maybe try a thread net so It doesn't come off so fast. You can get this and cut it to size. Super cheap.

http://craftingisfun.com/leinettingandtubing.aspx
    This is what I was going to suggest. I thread sleeve really helps with invisible thread.

8. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That netting that is put around fancy fruit this time of year, like one fresh pear, might work. I am picturing the monofilament thread puddling like fishing line does.

10. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hulamoon for the picture. I learned something today. I may give invisible thread another try.

12. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    Thanks Hulamoon for the picture. I learned something today. I may give invisible thread another try.
    mmmmmmmmmm

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The above suggestions are all great and hopefully will get your thread flowing freely. But, in addition to those recommendations, may I suggest a change in thread and needles for your next project?

I have used invisible thread for many years. I found that the 100% nylon thread breaks constantly and difficult to flow off the spool freely, even with a net. Therefore, I threw out all the old YLI and Joann's clear thread and invested in Superior Threads Monopoly thread. It's actually 100% polyester thread and much easier to use. A Microtex or a Topstitch needle is good to use with the invisible thread, as it has a larger, elongated hole for the thread. I use the Superior Titanium Topstitch #14 most of the time. I also found that every one of my machines required setting the upper tension to a low number to get good tension balance. Normally, I use BottomLine thread in the bobbin.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...%2C200+yds.%29

15. Thanks Sylvia H, bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

So much good advice and information - a storehouse of knowledge here . . . thanks everyone and especially to Sharyn J for valuable info.

I do want to give feedback on my quilting last night. Lorie, even though I ordered the netting, I poked around in my kitchen and found a nice soft netting that 'garlic' came in and just the right size. I washed it good and cut off a length . . put it on my unruly spool of thread, then used my seam ripper top to set my thread vertical - - - - and glory be, everything worked perfectly - no jam up or breakage.

So much better to have two hands on the quilt for stitching, instead of one hand on the thread track to keep it from messing up.

Thank you all so much. My next questions, no doubt, will be about 'binding' > > > wait for it!!

"B"

17. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post