Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's everyone having for the holiday meals?

Roast beef Christmas eve at DDs then on Christmas day DH and I will have a brunch of cinnamon rolls, breakfast casserole or DH will treat me to an omelet(he makes killer omelets) .
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Only two of us this time. Vegetarian fare. I usually make eggplant Parmesan but this year I am changing it up to cheese manicotti. I made the ricotta for the first time - kinda fun. And I make my own sauce. Also a rustic Italian bread and salad of baby greens with walnuts, roquefort, and oranges. Will probably roast some brussels sprouts ahead of time since the oven will be full of bread and manicotti. Will serve that cold with a fish sauce based vinaigrette. All faves of my son who doesn't really like sweets, so I won't bother with dessert.
    I want to try making Ricotta too. I saw a show demonstration and it looked pretty easy.

It's just me so I'll make shrimp, pasta and whatever veggie I can find.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

16 for dinner. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cream corn, green beans,
    a small pork roast, pasta, rolls, pie, cannolis, ice cream, cookies. Whew, no, I am not cooking all of
    it, everyone is bringing something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are having goose, roast potatoes, and asparagus--same every year.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Turkey roll, cornbread dressing, Louisiana fresh yams a corn and green bean casserole to die for------with that being said guess I need to give the recipe.

Corn & Green Bean Casserole

1 can shoe peg Corn
    1 can French style green beans
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can sliced water chestnuts
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
    1/2 cup cheddar cheese
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 stack Ritz Crackers
    1 stick butter

Mix all ingredient except ritz and butter and pour into casserole dish.
    Crush ritz crackers, melt butter and mix with crackers. Spread over the top of the casserole and bake at 350 till heated bubbling and toaste on top. (About 30 to 45 minutes)

I usually prepare everything, pour into casserole and cover with Saran Wrap the day before the holiday and prepare the ritz/butter topping just before I need to put into the oven (less prep on the day).
    Beth

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My son is home for the first time in about 3 years and said he'd like to have ham, so ham it is. I ordered a small spiral ham and will pick it up later in the week. Just need a few sides to go with it but it will be a simple dinner. Only 3 of us for Christmas.

7. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Prime Rib, Yorkshire pudding, salad, veggies and dessert, maybe dutch apple pie or pecan.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carolynrae View Post
    Prime Rib, Yorkshire pudding, salad, veggies and dessert, maybe dutch apple pie or pecan.
    The same! We always have a recipe from Taste of Home called "Must Have Salad". It is so good! Mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole my sister makes that uses fresh green beans, almonds, blue cheese and heavy cream (very healthy ) topped with bread crumbs. I think we will also have cheesecake and a new pie DD found at Aldis - Cookie Butter Creme.

My sister started the prime rib Christmas tradition about six years ago and everyone kind of expects it now.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I will be making a traditional meal at Phil and Jodi's this year, turkey, potatoes, vegetable, stuffing and gravy. I will also be making some buns, not sure about dessert though. I didn't make any that's for sure.

New Year's is when we have the Seafood Fest, lobster, scallops, shrimp, maybe some crab, and steaks on the barbie.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It will just be DH, youngest DD and myself for Christmas Day. I usually make biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast, but DH can't have it anymore and youngest DD isn't fond of it. So, I don't see the need to make B&G just for me.

I'll probably cook a turkey breast in the crockpot, make green bean casserole (Halona's favorite), rolls and chips. It will be a solemn Christmas dinner, but at least observed. I still need to do Christmas shopping for Halona (her 16th birthday is tomorrow); DH and I are omitting gifts this year for each other. The move has been costly moving from one state to another in the recent week.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!