Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default AGAIN . . . looking for Quilting Advice

A few of you have given me advice for a few weeks now as I have been helping my DGD making a t-shirt quilt . . . and believe it or not, we're at the quilting stage - - walking foot, straight line machine quilting. The quilt is made up of 15" blocks with sashing separating the blocks. I'm beginning mid quilt stitching side-to-side - will then work mid quilt stitching top to bottom.

As I'm beginning stitching, I realize that when I come to where sashing intersects a block, I have to cut the threads unless I'm close enough to span to the next block > > > but in either case I realize I will have *many* cut threads that will need to be tied and buried. Is this typical . . or is there another way to work that does not leave so many cut threads? Because of the size of the quilt (72" X 92") it's necessary to sew in one direction at a time and impossible to sew an continuous 4-sided block to minimize thread cuts.

Any advice or tips that may minimize thread cuts would be greatly appreciated.
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AGAIN . . . looking for Quilting Advice

If I'm understanding correctly I'm doing something similar on my current project. I have short sections down the length of the quilt that I am quilting with my walking foot but there are gaps in between. I didn't won't to start & stop each time so at my starting point I pull my bobbin thread up to the top. Then I put a couple of stitches then back stitch to secure it. I also backstitch at the end of that section. Next I raise my needle and pressor foot, push my quilt forward & lower the needle in the next section and repeat the process except for pulling up bobbin thread. When I reach the end of the quilt and go back and clip the threads off that are laying in between the sewn sections.

I hope this helps. You would still have threads to cut but the backstitching would secure your stitches.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

3. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you pcbatiks - this quilting stuff is hard to explain, huh? However, you seem to understand my query.

As I stitch down alongside a block (yes, pulling up my bobbin thread and stitch a couple backstitches at beg. and end), I then come to a sash where I either have to cut the thread or jump the sash with both threads still attached - so if the next block is close enough, I jump the sash with threads attached > > but wouldn't you still have to 'knot and bury' the threads . . or am I understanding that you can just cut the threads, leaving the backstitching to secure the stitches? There's just so many otherwise, I'll be at this forever.

Makes me wonder if I wouldn't have been better off to leave out the sashing . . then I'd have continuous stitching without so many threads to 'knot and bury'.

Again, thanks for your answer!

"B"

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly I'm doing something similar on my current project. I have short sections down the length of the quilt that I am quilting with my walking foot but there are gaps in between. I didn't won't to start & stop each time so at my starting point I pull my bobbin thread up to the top. Then I put a couple of stitches then back stitch to secure it. I also backstitch at the end of that section. Next I raise my needle and pressor foot, push my quilt forward & lower the needle in the next section and repeat the process except for pulling up bobbin thread. When I reach the end of the quilt and go back and clip the threads off that are laying in between the sewn sections.

I hope this helps. You would still have threads to cut but the backstitching would secure your stitches.

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

5. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is not necessary to backstitch. When starting, set your stitch length to 0.5 or 1.0 & take a couple or three stitches, then move it up to 3.0 or whatever stitch length you're using. When finishing, reduce the stitch length to 0.5 or 1.0 for a couple or three stitches & just cut your thread close. No burying of thread is necessary.

7. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    It is not necessary to backstitch. When starting, set your stitch length to 0.5 or 1.0 & take a couple or three stitches, then move it up to 3.0 or whatever stitch length you're using. When finishing, reduce the stitch length to 0.5 or 1.0 for a couple or three stitches & just cut your thread close. No burying of thread is necessary.
    How clueless can I be! I've heard people talk about taking a couple "anchoring" stitches and always thought "Oh, that's too bad my machine doesn't have something like that." It just hit me when I read your post how they do it! I wonder how I function sometimes!

9. Thanks pcbatiks, bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

First, I have to say . . . if Lori63 is 'clueless' then I'm 'as dumb as they come'. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees!

Now, let me say thank JCY and Lori . . . JCY after reading your clever 'secure the stitch' technique . . a light bulb went on. I actually think I have such a stitch I can set on my Juki. I'll be reading my manual to find out. And this will definitely help me to avoid the 'knot and bury' on a bazillion stops and starts where I have to 'jump' the sashing.

My most immediate 'stumbling block' is invisible thread - - - maybe a new post for that headache?!?!

What anyone who tries to quilt needs . . . . a Missouri* Forum filled with ladies who have answers to all your questions . . . and are patient enough to answer my 'dumb' questions - - Thanks and Happy Holidays!

"B"

11. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This idea was not original with me. I read it somewhere in a quilting book. It's definitely a method I use when using my walking foot to crosshatch. On my Tiara, when starting, I take a couple stitches to secure the thread. When I'm "breaking thread", I bring the bobbin thread up to the top then clip closely. I've never buried threads. Of course, I don't quilt for competition.

13. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"B" I understood your explanation better than my own. Yes, I usually just backstitch of couple of stitches and clip threads later in the scenario you described. JCY's suggestion might be quicker. My machine is over 30 years old and backstitching is just force of habit for me from sewing clothes. I think I would forget to change the stitch length back on my machine.

Don't worry about too many questions.......we all have them and this is a great place to find answers.

Good luck on the quilt.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

15. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly JCY, thanks for sharing - guess that's what it's all about . . . . connecting with other quilters, learning (and, at my age, sometimes forgetting and asking again!!) and having fun with a DGD!!

Merry Christmas and Happy 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    This idea was not original with me. I read it somewhere in a quilting book. It's definitely a method I use when using my walking foot to crosshatch. On my Tiara, when starting, I take a couple stitches to secure the thread. When I'm "breaking thread", I bring the bobbin thread up to the top then clip closely. I've never buried threads. Of course, I don't quilt for competition.

"B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

pcbatiks, I hear ya . . .

. . I have a 1952 Kenmore SM, named Mary Pauline after my mother (since that's a similar machine to the one I remember her using when I was a kid). She does a beautiful top-stitch but, as you say, she's a bit shy on the 'latest gadgets' that makes sewing so speedy. For this quilt I'm using a Juki F600 - I love this machine - and she does almost everything except 'wash the dishes'?!?!?!

My earlier sewing years was making clothing for my kids, so a 5/8" seam and back-stitching becomes second nature. Guess I was doing a little 'overkill' with back-stitching and 'knot and bury'. I do like JCY's stitch length change idea. The front of my quilt, with the invisible thread looks fine . . but on the back, the back-stitching isn't as clean as I'd like - so I'll try JCY's tip.

You're so right about this being a great place to find answers . . but thanks anyway for the patience. One day maybe I'll be able to answer someone's question!

Merry Christmas and Happy 2017!

"B"

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    "B" I understood your explanation better than my own. Yes, I usually just backstitch of couple of stitches and clip threads later in the scenario you described. JCY's suggestion might be quicker. My machine is over 30 years old and backstitching is just force of habit for me from sewing clothes. I think I would forget to change the stitch length back on my machine.

Don't worry about too many questions.......we all have them and this is a great place to find answers.

Good luck on the quilt.

"B"