Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone have a Husqvarna quilting machine/

Since I have always used a Husqvarna, DH is now thinking of the Sapphire 960Q. Anyone got one? I am so frustrated with all the choices and no one in the area selling sewingmachines to go look at them. I was convinced that a Juki 2010Q would serve me but now, he wants your opinion on this machine . He has been reading about all the brands and thinks maybe since I have been sewing on a Viking for 45 years maybe that's what we should be looking for.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone have a Husqvarna quilting machine/

I have the Saphire 875 Quilter which is the model prior to the 960Q. I absolutely love it. It has all the features I wanted and some I didn't know I would love. My decision came down to it or a Babylock and I have never regretted my decision. She is a workhorse and has never given me a problem. I pieced and quilted a king size quilt on her with no problem. I have purchased many of the extra feet including the walking foot and enjoy the ease of learning to use them in quilting and making clothing for granddaughters. Good luck in your search for a new machine, make sure you test drive them.
    Beth

3. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to make a list and decide just what it is you are looking in a machine. There is quite a world of difference between the one your husband thinks you need and the one you think you want. The Juki is purely a straight stitch only machine. It has a beautiful stitch and handles well. It's great for piecing as well as for using for fmq. If you already have a machine that does all the fancy schmancy decorative stitching, I'd say keep that and get the Juki. You can't go wrong.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

5. Thanks quiltingaway, Midge, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bubba. If it's only for quilting, a straight stitch would be best in my opinion. Doesn't Leah Day use a Juki? I believe she did either a YouTube or a blog post about why she liked the machine she uses. It's been a while ago when I saw it but you might want to check out her website. Do I dare say this should be your decision and not your husband's? And just to add another thought to the mix, my Japanese made clone of a Singer 15-91 ( a straight stitch only machine probably made in the 50s or 60s) did a much better job at quilting than my Viking 870. I love my Viking for putting together the quilts but have since got a Sweet Sixteen for the quilting part.

7. Thanks grammaterry, bubba thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are two very different types of machines. Which type do you want? A computerized machine with hundreds of stitches, etc is a different breed of cat from a straight stitch only mechanical semi-industrial machine. I'm not sure from your post what machines you already own besides the HV you have been using, and whether the type of sewing you do will really utilize the HV features. IOW, is it worth the additional cost to you personally? I love my Juki TL 2010 for piecing and quilting, and it's a real nondemanding workhorse. I don't know about the repair/warranty issues with the HV, but the Juki is outstanding. Again, it's what features you want and which machines meet those requirements. Maybe it will be easier for you to decide if you clarify that first. Have you read the reviews on patternreview.com?

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry ~ Re: Viking & Pfaff ~ My LQS & mach. dealer has quit carrying both the Viking & the Pfaff. He said parts are getting harder to get. He sells nothing now but Baby Lock. If you have a good machine that works well for piecing, I'd keep it. If you want something for FMQ, I think the Tiara LA is a good choice. Baby Lock now also makes a stand up LA which doesn't cost all that much more than the Tiara. It's not as long a frame as some. Seems like it's called the Crown Jewel. As with any product, you need to know who is available for service/repair. Since you live out in the country & a long ways from a large town, getting good service could be an issue. A service/maintenance agreement is an extra cost, but probably worth it for the 3 yrs. it's good for. It covers all cleaning & repairs, etc. for ~$500. (This is for the Tiara.) I hope you'll find just the right machine for your needs.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post