Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need holiday diabetic recipe help

Hi All, my DIL has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I am hosting the Christmas Dinner/evening party. Are any of you aware of a good website or have a few good recipes for me to cook? I want her to enjoy her evening without making too much of her new status. I was on one website that was listing crockpot ham and used 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar--Think that isn't on her lifestyle menus. I hope someone can help me. Thanks Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need holiday diabetic recipe help

I don't eat beef or pork but if your willing to do chicken this looks really good.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/ma...ox-menu-709052

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Splenda makes a brown sugar that I use for my dh who has diabetes.
    Beth

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have your DIL pick up a little book called "The Insulin Resistance Diet" by Cheryle Hart, M.D. It gives a good, solid, livable diet that will also work for diabetics. It balances protein and carbs so that you can eat normal foods, you just eat them in portions that keep your blood sugar in check. There are a wealth of recipes in the book, too.

BTW, I just leave the glaze off hams. If you want flavoring, throw oranges and pineapple into the crock pot, and maybe a few cloves in some cheesecloth. The sugar is shiny but unnecessary.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information/ideas. I'm going to look for that book you suggested. I usually don't put a glaze on my ham, My mom used to just lay some pineapple slices on top of the ham and it was plenty enough sweetness. Thanks Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBCA View Post
    Splenda makes a brown sugar that I use for my dh who has diabetes.
    Just a FYI for those who need to watch sugars very carefully, The Splenda Brown Sugar is a blend of regular brown sugar mixed with the splenda. My MIL thought it was completely sugar free and made a pecan pie with it, both she and FIL had tremendous blood sugar spikes, FIL ended up in hospital for a few days after eating more than half the pie over a couple days (he did say it was delicious).
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Words from the Wise thanks for the heads up--I'll mention it to my DIL being new to this she might not know.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

For a quick cucumber salad
    Slice cukes very thin
    Red onion sliced thin
    Greek plain yogurt
    Dill
    Mix.....delic

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jasonryan, thanks for that recipe, I think my DIL will love it as she loves all the ingredients. They are coming for the Packer game on Sunday, so I'll give this a try. Hope I can find some decent cukes around here.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have diabetes but I feel like I will if I spend too much time at my mother-in-law's house. There are way too many temptations here. In fact, I can't understand how she manages, at the age of 84, to remain free of diabetes. My willpower is out the window. I also noticed that I don't always feel that well and it's probably from eating too many sweets. I'm just glad that I don't crave alcoholic beverages. There's way too much of that here as well. It's a nice visit but three weeks is too long for me. January 8 can't come soon enough. Looking forward to returning home.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.