Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chicken and Dumplings Texas style - for all you freezing up north

I have also tried them. Don't care for them at all, and the home-made ones are easy to do.

Just because I am not one of the sheep, it does not mean I must be a wolf.

In this day and age we have WAY too many people, WAY too sensitive about WAY too many things and taking something that only deserves a "ho hum" response as a slight against themselves personally.

Thinking is difficult. That's why most people judge.

....................................Jung.......... ......................

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love chicken dumplings, but I make dumplings from Bisquick and drop them on top of the hot broth after the chicken is cooked. I know its not dumplings to many but this is what I grew up. I have tried those noodle style gummy gobs and hate them compared to may light and fluffy dumplings.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom made Bisquick dumplings too. Naan bread might be more hardy than tortillas, but I love them. I just got a press to make my own.

Lorie

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Made this for supper tonight. It was very tasty! DH loved it!

5. Thanks kgirlmom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wlrquilts View Post
    While this sounds good it is not chicken and dumplings, give me good old fashioned dumplings.
    I am always open to new and better tasting recipes. What is your's for good old fashioned dumplings. Maybe I can get DH to eat chicken and dumplings more often (he doesn't like chicken, but does enjoy my chicken and dumplings). I would love to see a new recipe. Thanks.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have only ever tried Bisquick dumplings. My mother made them from scratch but I don't have any of her recipes.

So, anyone want to share their homemade dumpling recipe? Come on ShirleyKnot!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is close to the one my paternal Grandma made a lot......

Servings
    6-8
    Yield
    1 big pot
    Units
    US
    cups flour
    teaspoon baking powder, scant
    tablespoon Crisco
    teaspoon Crisco
    pinch salt
    pinch pepper
    3⁄4
    cup water

Mix the first 6 ingredients together until combined. Slowly add the water until you form a dough. You may have to add more or less water to form the ball.
    Roll out the dumpling dough on a floured surface thin and cut into bite size pieces.
    Drop them one at a time into simmering chicken/broth. She would always drop a few then wait a bit, then drop a few more. She said this kept them from sticking together in the end. After they are all added, give a gentle stir (once or twice around the pot, then leave it alone).
    Let the dumplings simmer in the chicken/broth mixture until they float to the top (about 15 minutes or so). I have let them simmer a longer, and that's fine. She would taste the broth one last time after the dumplings were done for seasoning before we got to eat them!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You want the easy one? Beat 2 eggs with 4 tablespoons of milk. In another small bowl, add a teaspoon of baking powder to 1 1/2 c self rising flour. Stir the 2 mixes together, adding a bit more flour if needed to make a somewhat stiff batter. Drop by spoonfulls into gently boiling stock; cover and reduce heat, simmering for 15 minutes.

Just because I am not one of the sheep, it does not mean I must be a wolf.

In this day and age we have WAY too many people, WAY too sensitive about WAY too many things and taking something that only deserves a "ho hum" response as a slight against themselves personally.

Thinking is difficult. That's why most people judge.

....................................Jung.......... ......................

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I have only ever tried Bisquick dumplings. My mother made them from scratch but I don't have any of her recipes.

So, anyone want to share their homemade dumpling recipe? Come on ShirleyKnot!
    So many regional and ethnic variations in the approach to dumplings I guess. Growing up my mom (cooking not her strong suit) made them with beef stew using Bisquick. Just the recipe on the back of the box. Back in the day I made that a lot, dropping large spoonfuls of dough on top of the bubbling stew and covering the pan until the dumplings rose and cooked through. My family fought over the extra dumplings. You needed a lot of sauce for the stew for this to be successful, and I always liked it best when I seasoned the stew with thyme and added a little bit of tomato paste.

But my paternal grandmother was Carpatho-Rusyn, so I learned her local variation on Chicken Paprikas with Dumplings among many other delicious recipes, and she was a fabulous cook, may she rest in peace. My mother's extended family was Pennsylvania Dutch, so I also learned their take on chicken and dumplings. Also great. Since I don't eat meat any more, I stick with making pierogi or haluski now. Pierogi has a technique component that is a little tricky, so I'll share the haluski recipe.

Haluski

large yellow onion, chopped
    large head of cabbage, chopped and tough parts saved for vegetable broth
    1/2 C. salted butter

dough:
    3 C. (maybe a little more) A.P. flour
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    1 C. water (if you like the dumplings more tender, use about 1/4 C. milk instead of 1/4 C. water)

Saute the chopped onions and cabbage in the butter until tender. Set aside. Meanwhile bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Mix the flour, salt, and eggs and add water a little at a time until the dough is still sticky but somewhat firm. You may need a little more water. Salt the boiling water. Use two spoons to form dumplings and slip them into the water. When the dumplings are cooked through they will rise to the top of the water and turn themselves over. Remove them with a slotted spoon as they are cooked so you don't overcrowd the pan. I use a spider for this. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper mix them with the cabbage and onions in a serving bowl.

Tastes of childhood are always the best, aren't they?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin and I always argue over recipe changes. Although there is more than one way to cook green beans, you wouldn't know it by her. She will stick to her tried and true recipe thank you very much. Wow! Is she missing out. I am intrigued by your recipe and need to try it. Yes the dumplings will be different than what I've grown up with or made, but that doesn't mean they won't be fabulous. I wish I would have seen this when the weather was colder. Thanks for posting kgirlmom
    Theda

May is Pediatric Stroke Awareness Month.

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010.