• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephanie5511
    Shiny Thimble
    • Dec 2016

New member, ready to start quilting, need suggestions

Hello,

My name is Stephanie, didn't realize I needed to create a new thread, whoops. I'm obsessed with quilts and haven't even started yet! I had a ton of respect for art of sewing when I was knitting because it seemed so daunting. Now I have been doing garments for about a year, mostly knits for me and woven projects for the house too. Now I'm ready to start my journey into quilts.

But I'd like to know from those experienced artists,, if you could do it all over again, what would you choose as your first pattern to learn on? I'm contemplating buying the couch to quilt project because it seems perfect for a beginner. But I already own those rulers a great rotary cutter etc. Any suggestions?

Stephanie
  • TMP
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2014

Re: New member, ready to start quilting, need suggestions

Welcome to the forum. When I began my first quilt, I had no idea MSQ even existed . If I had I would have watched some of Jenny's video's and found one I liked. I like the fact her instructions are so easy to follow and she gives you all the information on what materials to buy to make the quilt.
    Teresa
    Pelham, Alabama
    War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Hi and welcome from Canada. Great suggestion, TMP, yes watch her videos. I have no doubt you will find something you like.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Yanna
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2014

Welcome Stephanie to the forum from Southeast Louisiana. My first quilt was Irish Chain for my daughter many years ago. I didn't have a rotary cutter.

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Hello and welcome to the forum from Missouri. I'm glad you joined us.

I recommend watching several of Jenny's tutorials and choose something simple and small for your first project. Maybe a baby quilt or table runner.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• grammaterry
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

Wow...garment sewing with knits is daunting in my book. Quilting is an old skill that almost every woman in our past did from necessity. Some were perfect, others were just useful
            If you already have all the tools, the couch to quilt is not a very useful kit for you.
            Our first quilts for most of us old timers were cut from cardboard templates and scissors. They were a task. Precuts didn't exist, or if they did, no one told me about them. The MSQC videos are awesome. Chose a pattern that you like. I would suggest something with squares. I think the Goodnight Irene quilt is a lot of fun and will help you with the 1/4 inch seam . It is 16 patch with big HST's and makes a pattern that looks much more complicated that it is. Or, if you are not dyslexic like me, the falling charms quilt is very simple to construct and looks fabulous. It is more a matter of color design than complicated piecing.
            The most important part...have fun...don't get hung up in perfection. If those corners don't line up perfect and those points get cut off at first...just continue..you will get better. Take pictures and look back next year and you'll say...hummm....I'm getting a LOT better with practice.
            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
            Terry of NC

Comment

• Stephanie5511
              Shiny Thimble
              • Dec 2016

Wow! Thanks for the great recommendations! I love a challenge but only an inch at a time. I took a Craftsy class before I dove into the knits. I hear a recurring theme of having fun, and I have to say I think that's why sewing has been more of a pleasure than knitting for me. I get so when I drop a stitch or find one 5 rows back! It's not as bad to unstitch something, at least I don't think it is. Yay! Thanks everyone!! Woo hoo, now the best part shopping!!

Comment

• LauraP
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2015

I would start with a jelly roll race quilt. It is quick and looks very different depending on the fabric. Jenny has a video or check out the blog site if you like reading how to do it as you go.
                sigpic

Comment

• Granny Judy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2011

Just adding My Welcome to all the rest.. Sew Glad You Found Us!!

You already got the best advise from everyone. Watch Videos. I still do.
                  Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                  :icon_wave:

Comment

• Sylvia H
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2014

I agree that the jelly roll race is a good starting point. However, I also highly recommend going to craftsy.com and "buying" the class 'Piece, Patch, Quilt, Basic Quiltmaking Skills'. Although you have to go through the purchase process, the class is FREE. I think it is better than most 'person to person' beginning quilting classes.

While there are many excellent Jenny tutorials, my experience has been that they are best for those who have already made a quilt, or two, or three!
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• MNnancy
                      Rotary Pro
                      • Nov 2013

I tend to agree with Sylvia. Although the M* patterns are fairly simple, Jenny cuts and sews so quickly. I think a beginner should slow it down and aim for accuracy. Most of the Craftsy classes are excellent!

Comment

• snippet
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

Welcome to the forum!

Good ideas from everyone. I started out doing a simple rail fence pattern. That's really easy now a days with the pretty jelly rolls around. I am not a fan of the Jelly roll race quilt but many like it and you may too. I don't know that I'd do it for a first quilt though.

Comment

• kgirlmom
                          Applique Angel
                          • Jun 2015

When I was hand piecing, my first tiny quilts were 9 patches. My first lap size quilt was a rail fence and I loved it (also pieced and quilted by hand). Those days are long over. I machine pieced and quilted a large lap size rail fence last year and added sashing and corner stones and it turned out great.

Comment

• GaGa
                            The Guild President
                            • Apr 2014

Welcome! I took a class at a local quilt shop and we made a sampler quilt with 12 different blocks using a variety of techniques. I learned so much from a hands-on approach. Since then, I've made several of Jenny's as well as a couple from printed patterns. Jenny is very good and LOVE her tutorials but it helps to have some basic knowledge. I'm sure the Craftsy classes would be good too especially if you don't have access to a LQS class. Enjoy your new "hobby"!
                            Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                            X