Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default A 'chunk' missing from my batting . . . is making me 'batty'!

So . . I've posted about helping my DGD make a tee-shirt quilt . . . . and had help from some of you 'seasoned quilters' along the way - - thank you once again . . . .

BUT I have an unusual problem today. Upon opening my bag of batting (Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting - Twin Size 72" X 90") to spread it out to let the fold wrinkles rest, I find that I apparently at some prior time 'stole' a chunk about 13" X 15" (I have a vague memory of this theft) which leaves me in a quandary!

The tee-shirt quilt top measures 72" X 90"!?!?!? We planned it that way by using sashing and a border . . . . * * since that roll of batting was sitting on the shelf in the closet that was clearly marked 72" X 90"! Upon measuring the batting, I find that it actually measures 76" X 97" - I conclude that's because your batting and backing are supposed to be slightly larger than the quilt top.

So therein lies my dilemma . . . that's making me 'batty' > > > > > do I 'steal' some of the extra inches to make a patch? > > or will that leave me a problem not having the extra inches . . to be bigger than the quilt top?

Anybody ever dealt with such 'thievery'????

"B"
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A 'chunk' missing from my batting . . . is making me 'batty'!

Do you not have any pieces leftover from other quilts?

3. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    Do you not have any pieces leftover from other quilts?
    Sadly, I don't think so . . . I have yet to dig into some random scraps I have in my stash. Previously I have only done QSYG squares, so this is the only bed size batting I have - seems I needed an extra block at some time. I was hoping to start quilting tomorrow with no time to order - but may have to reconsider that. Not even sure if and how a patch can be accomplished.

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have "patched" using strips of lightweight fusible interfacing to join the pieces. It is along the lines of the batting tape they sell, but a homemade version. The interfacing doesn't add any bulk and keeps things from shifting. I have had more trouble trying to stitch pieces together than ironing them.

You could try trimming the batting closer and making a patch. I would still leave some batting hanging out to keep it from sucking up inside the quilt.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

6. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer my batting to be a bit bigger to allow for pulling in(?) from the quilting. I would piece scraps to fill in the hole but that only solves part of your problem. You will probably be happier if you replace the batting you have with a larger piece. You really don't want to come up short when your quilting is done. Now maybe, if you are tying you could squeak by but it will be close
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

8. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You can piece a scrap of batting in, abut the two pieces and use a zig zag stitch to secure it. It will hold and behave itself just fine, I just did this myself and I thought I'd be able to tell where I pieced the batting and I can't tell at all. There are videos out there that show how, google will surely come up with a few.
    Heather

10. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have pieced batting together and it holds just fine once all the quilting is done.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

12. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks loads ladies - - so, after the batting relaxed a bit, I put the pieces together . . folded in quarters. Fortunately for me, there seems to be more length than width > > > so if i fold the batting at the top lined up so that I have about 1-1/2" overhang (which would be at top and bottom - about what I have on each side), it would allow me to slice off 3" across the length > > > > then if I piece 4 - 3" pieces I need, giving me 12" to make my patch - - it may just work. The width of the patch isn't a problem since I'll have the full 3" strip, allowing me what I need there. As toggpine suggests, I could attach the pieces using light fusible (I have plenty left over from fusing the tee-shirts) - - - hmmm, could this be possible?

We plan to do simple straight, box type quilting . . . maybe it won't pull in as much as fancier quilting?

I'm attaching a pic that maybe will clarify the issue - - on the 2nd pic I stuck in a piece of material so you could see the cut out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	137952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4088.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	137953

"B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a frustration! I hope you were able to find something to patch the missing corner.

15. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can do it. I have pieced batting several times. I just butt the pieces together and use a big zigzag stitch. No problems with it.

17. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post