Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A 'chunk' missing from my batting . . . is making me 'batty'!

About 2 weeks ago I had to piece the batting. There was a ragged hole. So, I measured it, added an extra inch all the way around. Then I went to my batting scraps and used the measurements to draw a nice neat square, I cut it out, then laid it on top of the ragged hole. Used a purple disappearing marker and drew around the square of batting. Then I cut out the ragged hole making it a nice neat square and then inserted the square that I cut from my scrap batting pile. Then using needle and thread, I whipped stitched it in. Can't tell where I did this after it was quilted.
    Vonnie

2. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

After the posts of suggestions from you ladies, I'm pretty sure I can manage a patch to my batting to fill my 'missing corner.

However, now I'm wondering whether or not a 1-1/2" overlap (from the top to the batting and backing) is going to be enough. Never having made a bed size quilt, other than QAYG, I'm not sure about the sandwich and how much bigger the batting 'should' be than the top > > > so I watched videos to see what is recommended. Seems like there's differing opinions . . . from no overlap, but rather stitch around the perimeter with 1/4" SA (to hold everything in place) - - - up to a maximum of 8" overlap for the batting and backing.

I'm stuck between the 'stitch around the perimeter with a 1/4" SA' with the batting I have > > > or buying new batting in a bigger size to have much more of an overlap . . . . . and this question I pose since most of you quilt bed size quilts and have done this many times . . . . if it were you, what would you do?

TYIA for your advice.
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You could always buy a small piece of the same brand/weight batting and use that for piecing. Essentially you would end up with batting it's original size. I think 1.5-2" on each side is enough. That is definately what I would do!
    Bev

5. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most importantly, what type of machine are you quilting on?

I have a long arm and need that extra batting and backing to place my clamps on to keep it smooth and taut. I quilted one for a friend and the backing and batting was just barely an inch extra all the way around and my machine kept bumping into the clamps and messing up smooth quilting lines.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    Most importantly, what type of machine are you quilting on?

I have a long arm and need that extra batting and backing to place my clamps on to keep it smooth and taut. I quilted one for a friend and the backing and batting was just barely an inch extra all the way around and my machine kept bumping into the clamps and messing up smooth quilting lines.
    First of all, I'm jealous . . . a long arm is only a dream of mine! I have never even accomplished 'free motion quilting'. I'll be quilting on my faithful Juki F600 using a walking foot . . . . and do simple straight line, box-like quilting focusing around the tee-shirt squares and the sashing making sure to quilt as close as the batting calls for. Quilting is not for 'sissies' - so many decisions . . so much to learn . . . so many different ways to do it all . . .

I've watched many YouTube vids for quilting on a regular SM - - one says quilting 'pushes the top out' making it necessary to have the extra batting and backing . . . another says quilting 'takes in the top', so I take that to mean a lot of overhang of the batting and backing is not necessary . . . . another says to run a line of stitching with 1/4" SA around the entire perimeter, which would keep the sandwich together and prevent any shifting > > > > very confusing ! ! !

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you baste the sandwich well, using your preferred method, shifting and puckers will be minimized, so that will help. If you begin quilting from the center of the quilt and work out, any excess material will naturally push outwards, and you can smooth it as you go. If you top stitch around the perimeter and then quilt it, you lose the ability to smooth any excess fabric as you quilt, so you'd wind up with bunched up fabric. I hope that makes sense.
    Anyway, 1.5-2" of batting is cutting it close but you should be fine on a DSM. The quilts that have a ton of extra batt never seem to need it and the ones where there isn't much wiggle room always seem to need more. It's like they somehow know...
    Heather

10. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have some fleece you can patch a piece of that in. It is about the same thickness and softness as the batting

12. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bev - - I've made a decision. Today we started putting the sandwich together keeping the extra at top and bottom even - then spray basted it together. So far, so good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjvarizona View Post
    You could always buy a small piece of the same brand/weight batting and use that for piecing. Essentially you would end up with batting it's original size. I think 1.5-2" on each side is enough. That is definately what I would do!

"B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    If you baste the sandwich well, using your preferred method, shifting and puckers will be minimized, so that will help. If you begin quilting from the center of the quilt and work out, any excess material will naturally push outwards, and you can smooth it as you go. If you top stitch around the perimeter and then quilt it, you lose the ability to smooth any excess fabric as you quilt, so you'd wind up with bunched up fabric. I hope that makes sense.
    Anyway, 1.5-2" of batting is cutting it close but you should be fine on a DSM. The quilts that have a ton of extra batt never seem to need it and the ones where there isn't much wiggle room always seem to need more. It's like they somehow know...
    Thanks Heather . . I was thinking that sewing the perimeter could create a problem, so I agree with 'bunching up at the ends'. We plunged in today and put the sandwich together and spray basted everything together, then pressed. No question we could be in trouble at the top and bottom . . with barely an inch to spare, but seem to have 3" or 4" on each side.

Would it matter if I work from the middle first going side to side with SITD along the block lines. My intuition says if I go side to side first this may lock things in and there would be less shifting when I then SITD top to bottom. Once that's done we'll probably shadow the logos/wording and such inside each block enough to stay with the recommended 3-1/2" apart. Fingers crossed!!

"B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    If you have some fleece you can patch a piece of that in. It is about the same thickness and softness as the batting

Thanks grammaterry - - there's no end to what we'll do for Grands, huh?

So we've plunged in . . . to see how it goes. After spray basting we barely have an inch of batting top and bottom . . 3" or 4" each side. If we wind up in trouble, I may resort to your 'fleece' suggestion . . I do have fleece on hand . . our fingers are crossed!

"B"