Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: this will set you wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Hey! Watch it now. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. And since it seems to be tawdry confession time, I also sort my canned goods by type of contents.
    To me, this is just "natural".....what was the name of that movie....?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Movies and Music are alphabetized thanks to my husband.

My stash of pre-cuts are sorted and stored by type (5", 10" and JR) and also alphabetized by collection. I'll attach a tag if I also have fabric from that collection in my yardage stash which is sorted by color. Everything regarding precuts is on a spreadsheet. Makes it easier to pack a project since I travel between houses so much.

3. Thanks seaturtle thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so now I'm feeling TOTALLY inept! I have absolutely nothing alphabetized in my entire house! I hate alphabetizing anything. It drives me bats! I do lose things occasionally. I'm "fairly" tidy but I can only handle so much organization! That's my confession and I'm sticking to it��
    Brenda.

5. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    Mine's all on the same floor of the house. That counts as a form of organization right?
    LOL - do you live in a one level house?
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, confession time....she is talking about me. Yes, I alphabetize things, including precuts.

I have only been quilting for a few years, but sewing and embroidering for most of my life. I think my OCD really kicked in with embroidery threads. I accumulated a lot of that pretty quickly, so in order to find the one I was looking for, I bought thread boxes and sorted them all by number - 1000s, then 1100s, 1200s, etc.

When I first started quilting, the only precut I could justify was FQ. I couldn't understand why anyone would pay more for having someone cut their squares for them. Then I stumbled onto Jenny's youtube channel and started following her and my precut stash starting growing! While I wasn't willing to pay $35+ for a LC, those DDs were too hard to resist. At first, I kept all the "families" together in boxes - all Hi-De-Ho JR, LC, yardage, etc. That got old quickly. Sorting through those boxes drove me crazy. I bought the rubbermade totes and broke up my little families by precuts - JR, LC, etc. But I noticed that different collections looked very similar. For instance, Lady Slipper Lodge, Fresh Lilacs, and Potting Shed all have the same/similar fabrics in them. Standing on their edges in the box, it was hard to tell one from the other. So I alphabetize by collection name within the precut tote. Now, those 3 are nicely spaced out in the tote.

I'm still a little disappointed that the families are broken up. Maybe I can do something with Judy's idea so I know if I have a JR that matches the LC I'm using.

BTW, with all that obsessing over finding things, I am still a very messy creator. Once I start on a project, it spreads out all across the room and all bets on finding the scissors are completely off. But my totes are in order!!

Pat, when I come to visit you, I'm going to turn all your toilet paper rolls around backwards
    Cindy

8. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    LOL - do you live in a one level house?

No. So it says something that I can confine it to one floor right? I get points for that right?

10. Thanks seaturtle, toggpine thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaGa View Post
    Ok, so now I'm feeling TOTALLY inept! I have absolutely nothing alphabetized in my entire house! I hate alphabetizing anything. It drives me bats! I do lose things occasionally. I'm "fairly" tidy but I can only handle so much organization! That's my confession and I'm sticking to it😀
    A woman after my own heart . . .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get organizational spells. When they strike, the house often looks like a tornado passed through until I get everything back where it belongs.
    I do have to say that somethings seem to be opposed to being in their proper place, sort of like reverse magnatizism. You put them back, and poof! The next thing you know they are someplace else in the house.

I have the fabrics sorted mostly by color and a few by seasons. The fat quarters have their own bins. I tuck the leftover bits back inside the bigger pieces and put them back in their family bins. I don't have space for a dedicated scrap section. While this sounds great, I still have fabric and other stuff all over the sewing space.
    More sewing, less shoping!
    Yeah, riiiight!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I thought I was doing ok in my fabric organization, but after reading all this I'm having my doubts. I do separate out all my pre cuts and keep "types" together (charms, jelly rolls, layer cakes) but then after reading Cindy's (seaturtle) I have begun to wonder. What about all the collections that go together??? What about all the similar prints and colors?? It's not just seasons, childrens, fabric weight, amounts or dates purchases?!?!?

Argggghhhhhh! This was the WRONG thread for me to even venture into......
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

14. Thanks toggpine, bubba, seaturtle thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

The solution to organizing your stash is to not have a big one. Another one is to not have money to spend on future projects, only the next one! Both work for me!
    Bev

16. Thanks seaturtle, bubba thanked for this post