Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Disappointed with this Product

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
    I have no use for a 10 inch die. I tend to cut charms up into 2 1/2 inch squares and/or HSTS and try to see how small I can make some of the quilts. I've seen complaints about charms being cut wrong.

If you do the math - one charm will yield 4 candies as Moda calls them. 42 x4 = 168 candies. That's an awful lot and missing a few because of a bad cut isn't too bad. The wonkier charms will usually work with a rectangle die.

If you are doing something that demands precision, then it is a bummer.
    The layer cakes I purchased were to be used in a particular quilt that would be easily subcut in pairs if all the squares started out the same. If I had the 10"die, I wouldn't have had to bother with layer cakes. Not horrible to have to do but it kind of made buying the layer cake pack and paying the extra not worth it. If they had been more precise I could have started the pairing and cutting without having to square of the layer cakes.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Hello and welcome from cold and snowy Wisconsin! I make lots of scrap quilts and cut precuts into even smaller pieces, sometimes weird sizes, so if the pack is a little off it usually doesn't prevent me from making my scrap pattern. But please let us know if you contact the vendor and what they say. Precuts are more expensive than yardage so they should be cut accurately. Plus any negative or positive feedback from a manufacturer reaches many people here on the Forum. If someone on here says "Don't buy from such-and-such company" that is something that I remember.
    Hi, jjkaiser. Thank you for the welcome from Wisconsin. We will be getting your really cold temperature this week. Do you want it back?

I have started a letter to them on RJR's website but was interrupted with all that's going on now for the holidays. I will send it off in a few days and if I hear anything in return I will let you all know about it here. It's a shame because the fabric itself is very pretty, colorful, and of good quality.

I do like the convenience of precuts so the extra money can be worth it but only if they are decently accurate. Word of mouth from other quilters is so valuable to the all of us and to the manufacturers too. I'm glad I've had mostly good things to say to my quilter friends than bad.

BTW, I'm responding to each quoted message in a separate message since I don't know how to do them as a group quote. I hope that's not a horrible faux pas.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have a few precuts, but I think I am more of a collector than a user!
    I found one that was short in a charm pack I did finally use.
    I kind of stopped buying them once I filled a pair of plastic shoe boxes with different cuts. I know they are really popular and they have really helped a lot of people create some fantastic quilts. I say if they work for you, then great! Just measure first!
    Thank you for the welcome, toggpine. Too funny about being more of collector than a user of your precuts. It's so easy to do because there's so many delicious ones out there. I hope the one you did use that was short the one square didn't cause you too much grief when making your project.

Lately I've only been buying the precuts when I have a specific project in mind. I try to read the reviews of whatever I'm buying when buying online. If I buy a precut in person knowing what I know now, I will definitely measure it in the store.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1Potato2Potato3Potato4 View Post

BTW, I'm responding to each quoted message in a separate message since I don't know how to do them as a group quote. I hope that's not a horrible faux pas.
    To do several quote click on the last symbol on the right. A check mark will appear. Do as many as you want and on the last one click reply with quote.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Potato2Potato3Potato4 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, toggpine. Too funny about being more of collector than a user of your precuts. It's so easy to do because there's so many delicious ones out there. I hope the one you did use that was short the one square didn't cause you too much grief when making your project.

Lately I've only been buying the precuts when I have a specific project in mind. I try to read the reviews of whatever I'm buying when buying online. If I buy a precut in person knowing what I know now, I will definitely measure it in the store.
    I went over board buying precuts. I usually only buy layer cakes now,

Welcome from Kauai!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also purchased with a quilt in mind, but I used the whole 10" piece rather than subcutting. Maybe it's easier to adjust that way. I did have to add 4 one inch pieces to quilt border. No biggie, I had fabric left from quilt. Looks intentional. I'd miscalculated.

I've seen charms with some terrible pieces - what seems to happen is the automatic cutter glitches and the irregular piece gets packaged.
    Easy to miss if it's in the middle of the pack. Unlike humans, the machine doesn't see the error.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
    I also purchased with a quilt in mind, but I used the whole 10" piece rather than subcutting. Maybe it's easier to adjust that way. I did have to add 4 one inch pieces to quilt border. No biggie, I had fabric left from quilt. Looks intentional. I'd miscalculated.

I've seen charms with some terrible pieces - what seems to happen is the automatic cutter glitches and the irregular piece gets packaged.
    Easy to miss if it's in the middle of the pack. Unlike humans, the machine doesn't see the error.
    It's always great when our mistakes look like a creative choice. The quilt I'm doing called Color Weave has you sew your two 10" squares together and subcut after that. They are all straight lines so it's pretty easy. It would have been much easier if I hadn't thought I was more clever than the person who wrote the instructions. I cut everything correctly but I thought it would be easier sewing both sides of the 10" squares and subcutting from there. I've now done a bunch of unsewing and I'm looking forward to finally getting back to actually sewing tomorrow.

The machines do a great job of cutting until something goes eschew. It wouldn't be fun to get the messed up pack(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    To do several quote click on the last symbol on the right. A check mark will appear. Do as many as you want and on the last one click reply with quote.

I went over board buying precuts. I usually only buy layer cakes now,

Welcome from Kauai!
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Hulamoon. Kauai sounds so wonderful especially with snow pending here. Thank you also for the help with multiple quotes and replies. I think I may have done it correctly.
    It's so easy to go overboard with something like precuts. I had never even thought of layer cakes until the quilt I am doing right now used them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Easiest thing would to be "forewarned is forearmed"

If you really like a layer cake and are planning on using it in the way you described buy it, but go through the whole pack piece by piece and check before using. I did on the one I made using the whole piece. There are also pieces in a precut pack that I'd never use, so I go through and put those in a basket to get rid of.

If there are some bad pieces, complain and loudly, too.

There have been complaints on humps in the middle of jelly rolls, pinking on charms, and layer cakes being off. I guess it might be the luck of the draw.

However, if this keeps happening on a regular basis, there should be a way to post it so you can see the other complaints and solutions.
    If it happens to be one design house, then care should be taken when ordering those precuts. I think a lot of us would like to know which fabric company is the biggest problem.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought RJR Pixie strips and found that they were too small and were not quite 2 1/2 inches so I could not use them in the block I was making. I wrote to the company and told them about it but they didn't respond. I seems that there is more than one issue wrong with their cutting. I would rather trim off extra than not have enough like happened to be so I couldn't use my strips and had to pay extra to buy yardage.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote RJR about my pixie strips being too small and didn't get a response.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Always let the manufacture know about opps if people don't complain they may not know. Certainly give the sheer amount the machines cut there are bound to be mistakes. So far I have been lucky but I have not bought very many. Companies don't always respond right away due to sheer volume and emails are not infallible sometimes they get caught in bulk or spam. Also if you email a statement they do not always feel you are wishing a response.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.