Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backing flannel top with cotton

I am about to finish sewing a flannel Turning Twenty quilt top together. I would like to back it with cotton fabric, instead of flannel. Are there any tips to make it a successful "marriage"? i.e. 1/4 inch seam for the binding or larger? I will be machine binding this quilt. It will then be FMQ on a sit down long arm.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing flannel top with cotton

Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    I will be machine binding this quilt. It will then be FMQ on a sit down long arm.
    You're quilting after binding? It's usually done before.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was quilting after binding. Shifting was the problem. And flannel is more stretchy than cotton and cotton would be on the bottom with the feed dogs.

If you piece the back, remember 1/2" seam allowance with the seams pressed open. No selvage. It's a tighter weave and can cause warping.

I have mixed several fabrics with no problem. I have done cotton on top, flannel in the middle, and minky on the back.

Remember, quilting is not piecing. Lengthen your stitch length.

Just noticed - you said sit down long arm. Maybe some of the the sit down longarmers will see this post and give some suggestions. I have a longarm on a frame.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS! I think that came through in the wrong order. I am not quilting after binding, I was just saying that I am FMQ the quilt. I will definitely be quilting it first, then binding. Just wanted some advice on backing flannel with cotton. Thanks.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I make baby quilts with cotton tops/flannel backs all the time without any issue. I do prewash all cotton yardage and all flannel. Increasing stitch length for quilting and machine binding is helpful to prevent gathers or puckering.
    Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.