Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to take??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to take??

So, Judy, what size UHAUL trailer do you usually rent to take on these trips? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    I'm actually away from home for weeks at a time ... sometimes months. In fact I've been gone on a personal quilting retreat for 1 week and have 2 more left to sew. I try to take everything I can. The first time I did this it took me 3 trips to the local shop to gather everything I forgot. And no matter how much planning I do I have never completed everything. Because of the space batting takes up I concentrate on piecing tops ... and finish sandwiching the quilts at home.

If I'm going just for a week or two I pack my machine (be sure to pack the foot pedal and feet) plus an extension cord.

In a small plastic container I pack straight pins, snips, rotary cutter, extra rotary blade(s), pipe cleaners to clean the lint out of the machine, lapel stick, seam ripper, water soluble marking pen, and stiletto. In a second plastic container are spools of neutral thread and extra machine needles, hand needles and bobbins plus several empty quart and gallon plastic bags so I can pack odds & ends (like matching thread, bobbin and binding for a finished top) or partially constructed blocks when I come home.

I will usually try to kit up my fabric and the instructions and put each kit in a large plastic bag along with any smaller template(s) needed for that and fusible if I'm doing applique. These containers and kits will get packed into one small suitcase. My small computer also fits into this suitcase ... in case I need access to any tutorials. Along with a bottle of Best Press also in a plastic bag. And I can't forget my lint roller.

If I'm going for a long time (where there will be an ironing board) I'll take my larger iron and cutting board, a design wall, Block mags, all my rulers (including Stripology and 6 x 24) and some purchased patterns plus a can of 505. The only thing I never take with me is batting - entirely too bulky.

Sorry this is so long ... but it's as complete as I could make it! Being a quilting snowbird takes some planning.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm planning an extended road trip, I think about what I want to work on while I'm away. Do I have a project I want to make? Am I going to wing it? Will I have access to a sewing machine, or just hand work? From there I plan what I need/want.

I typically travel with my own machine if I'm travelling by car, even for a weekend trip. In my rolling machine tote, I have my machine, a small bucket for scraps/threads, the cords to make the machine run, my leader/ender project, and my bionic gear bag with thread, bobbins, pins, needles, tools, feet, clips, seam ripper and what-not. I also have an Ikea LED desk lamp, and a power strip, the feet for my extension table and binder clips, rotary cutter, extra blades and command hooks in the bag.

I have a travel case for my rulers and mat(s). It's flat like a portfolio - got it on sale & with coupon at Joannes last year. In that I have the standard rulers 6 x 24, 6 x 12, 12 x 12, and whatever specialty rulers I need for the projects I've planned.

I'm one of those people who tend to get bored easily with a project, so I have 2 or 3 for a weekend, or many for extended trips like I took to my Mom's last summer. I have pieces that need to be trimmed for future projects (4 patches, HST, etc) and scraps that need to be wrangled to manageable pieces for when quiet is needed. Kitted parts for a quilt I'm working on, a quilt that is in the block stage that needs to be arranged and sewn together, and likely fabric for one or more quilts to cut out. While I was at Mom's I cut and kitted 5-6 QOV I want to make in the next year from strips I brought with me, cleared out an Ikea bag full of scraps to usable squares, triangles, tumblers and strips. Made receiving blankets, diaper bag and burp cloths for my great-nephew, and a cross-body bag for my Mom.

That pre-supposes I'll have access to a table/desk to work on, an iron and ironing surface, and Wal-mart on every corner in case I forgot something.

I even have a big box at Mom's with extra rulers, projects and stuff in case I'm travelling by train instead of mini-van... When I went to my Son's a couple of years ago by train, I took a couple of rulers, a small rotating cutting mat and a bag of pieces to cut up. I used his kitchen counter for cutting and pressing and was able to kit up a QOV that my now granddaughter helped me arrange that trip. It kept my hands occupied while he was at work and I had no access to a vehicle.

I rarely travel without my laptop and/or Nook, and a hand-project the ever-present hexagon project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    So, Judy, what size UHAUL trailer do you usually rent to take on these trips? lol
    It's not really as bad as it sounds, Terry! When Steve comes up I'll have him take some pics and post them.

There is nothing more frustrating than rolling up your sleeves and get into a project and find you don't have what you need. It's not easy to stop, jump in the car and run to the store. It's also depressing to switch gears, pack it up, and get into another project. Taking everything you need that you already own saves on the vacation budget and you know you will have the same space to bring everything back.

Sometimes the packing & unpacking is tedious. But then I can get really grumpy if I have to stay in a place for 7 days with nothing to do! lol

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KathyCrofoot View Post
    When I'm planning an extended road trip, I think about what I want to work on while I'm away. Do I have a project I want to make? Am I going to wing it? Will I have access to a sewing machine, or just hand work? From there I plan what I need/want.

I typically travel with my own machine if I'm travelling by car, even for a weekend trip. In my rolling machine tote, I have my machine, a small bucket for scraps/threads, the cords to make the machine run, my leader/ender project, and my bionic gear bag with thread, bobbins, pins, needles, tools, feet, clips, seam ripper and what-not. I also have an Ikea LED desk lamp, and a power strip, the feet for my extension table and binder clips, rotary cutter, extra blades and command hooks in the bag.

I have a travel case for my rulers and mat(s). It's flat like a portfolio - got it on sale & with coupon at Joannes last year. In that I have the standard rulers 6 x 24, 6 x 12, 12 x 12, and whatever specialty rulers I need for the projects I've planned.

I'm one of those people who tend to get bored easily with a project, so I have 2 or 3 for a weekend, or many for extended trips like I took to my Mom's last summer. I have pieces that need to be trimmed for future projects (4 patches, HST, etc) and scraps that need to be wrangled to manageable pieces for when quiet is needed. Kitted parts for a quilt I'm working on, a quilt that is in the block stage that needs to be arranged and sewn together, and likely fabric for one or more quilts to cut out. While I was at Mom's I cut and kitted 5-6 QOV I want to make in the next year from strips I brought with me, cleared out an Ikea bag full of scraps to usable squares, triangles, tumblers and strips. Made receiving blankets, diaper bag and burp cloths for my great-nephew, and a cross-body bag for my Mom.

That pre-supposes I'll have access to a table/desk to work on, an iron and ironing surface, and Wal-mart on every corner in case I forgot something.

I even have a big box at Mom's with extra rulers, projects and stuff in case I'm travelling by train instead of mini-van... When I went to my Son's a couple of years ago by train, I took a couple of rulers, a small rotating cutting mat and a bag of pieces to cut up. I used his kitchen counter for cutting and pressing and was able to kit up a QOV that my now granddaughter helped me arrange that trip. It kept my hands occupied while he was at work and I had no access to a vehicle.

I rarely travel without my laptop and/or Nook, and a hand-project the ever-present hexagon project.
    I love the idea of a portfolio for rules and mats. Thank you

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

You would be surprised how much you can pack into a rolling bag on wheels! Besides your machine, accessories, pins, ,bobbins, thread, cutters, scissors, you have space in and around the machine for fabric, patterns. Cords & things in side pockets. I stuff fabric everywhere I can. If I have several projects I want to make I pack things for them also. A tote bag of sewing stuff is easy to stuff in somewhere in a car also. Good luck! Have a fun winter!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Because I go to a quilting day about once a month I have a rolling bag packed with necessities all the time. It has the basics and a project that just stays in the bag until the next time. When I go to retreats I do as others and kit up several projects to take.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
    Heading to Texas for about 2 1/2 months. I am doing good to get my husband away that long.
    What area of Texas are you headed for? I am in East Texas.

When I went to stay and sons house for 2 weeks I took a rolling suitcase with fabric to make a jean quilt. since that did not need batting I was able to quilt it also. Although the pinning should have been done differently- I could not work on the floor and they did not have a table that would work well so I just pushed through wrinkles and all. LOL Next time I will focus on more quilt tops and save pinning for later.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsladaritz View Post
    What area of Texas are you headed for? I am in East Texas.

When I went to stay and sons house for 2 weeks I took a rolling suitcase with fabric to make a jean quilt. since that did not need batting I was able to quilt it also. Although the pinning should have been done differently- I could not work on the floor and they did not have a table that would work well so I just pushed through wrinkles and all. LOL Next time I will focus on more quilt tops and save pinning for later.
    Georgetown area- actually 45 minutes north of Austin.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I arrived without my sewing machine cord & foot!! So frustrating, now I pack it first when going away. Safe travels