Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Terrible Problem!!

Hi my name is Monique and I am a quiltaholic. (Welcome to the club)
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks Muriel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, it's all good. If you can make someone else happy doing it, It's a WIN WIN WIN!

4. Thanks Muriel thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

So nice to know I am in such great company!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The replies in this thread are so funny. I feel your pain, by the way!

2 things have greatly helped me:

1) This quote from Jinny Beyer: "We have to stop buying fabric because it's pretty, and start buying fabric because it's useful."
    When I first started quilting I was enthralled with all the pretty fabric and thought -- this quilting hobby is going to be more expensive than I thought. This quote of Jinny's really helped me put things in perspective -- just because it's pretty, doesn't mean it's my style, will go with the things in my house, is best for the pattern I want to use, nor that I have to buy it!

I have been known to wait for over a year to get a particular fabric that I wanted but was unwilling to pay the going rate for it at the time. Last time I did this was for Timeless Treasure's Date Night fabric which was 10.95 at one source and a year later 3.95 at another source. One thing that helps me with this is: PLANNING my projects.

The other thing this has helped me with: if I "just can't" buy today's daily deal or sale item right now, I am confident I will have another chance later at a better price or believe an even better fabric will come along when I'm ready!

2) Planning -- I keep a "to do" list of quilt & sewing projects I want to make in a year's time. Then, I make a card for every project -- jotting down the project name, pattern, fabric line or general colors wanted (if known at the time), draw some sample blocks in small scale, include the recipient's name if it is a gift and for what event (e.g., birthday); I will add notes as to sources that have specific fabrics I'm considering, specialty thread I want to use, quilting pattern ideas, and, of course, the measurements. If I know I will be selling the quilt, I also keep note of supply costs.

I make these cards by folding a piece of copy paper in half with a horizontal fold, then with a vertical fold. I save the cards with a picture of the finished project when I'm done -- both for my record and in case I want to make the project again.

Planning projects also lets me prioritize them, so I know there may be LOTS of projects I WANT to complete, but only "x" many I CAN realistically complete in any given year; so I don't feel the need to buy too much fabric for a project that I am not going to work on this year -- otherwise, there's lots of money wrapped up in supplies for several projects, but you don't have all the supplies you need to complete any one project! On the other hand, it also allows me to pick up 2 yards of Wiz of Oz yellow brick road fabric and Wiz of Oz character fabric for $2/yard when I see it clearanced because I know it is one of the projects on my to-do list down the road and I most likely won't find the fabric this cheap next year!

I'm sure we've all heard the saying: "She who dies with the most fabric wins." I recently heard Jenny Doan say (on a public TV fundraising event): If you have too much fabric in your stash, then you're not sewing quick enough!

Happy Quilting!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

7. Thanks Muriel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just as guilty!
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I alternate between "Have to" projects, and "Want to" projects.
    I finish the "have to"s so I can do a "want to"
    Truth be told, I'm not happy unless I have a couple of projects in the making. Some [binding] require more patience, so I do those on the weekends. Mindless piecing, I do about an hour at a time, after work. I love comming home, and just stitching pieces.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

What is FMQ?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evonne View Post
    What is FMQ?
    FMQ = free motion quilting

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

At this time, I have only three completed tops waiting to be quilted.
    Furiously quilting a queen size quilt.
    One quilt - half pieced.

I have made about 74 quilts in four years (will be 76 by the end of this year). I guess it is okay to have a few works in progress.

13. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

After struggling with finishing decades-old UFOs, I have had to discipline myself to work on no more than two projects at any one time. I have a long-term applique project that I work on while watching TV. That one may take me years. I also work on a machine pieced and quilted one at the same time. I take that one all the way to binding before I let myself start another. I got bogged down big time when I lost focus and when I let myself start new stuff before finishing the old. It's SUCH a temptation, however. So many fabrics...so little time!