Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thankful for those who encourage

I had an odd experience today.

Visited a quilt shop & was told not to bother with one of 'those toy long arms'. She had to explain what she meant by that. Bless her heart, she's entitled to her opinion however, it is not realistic to snub any machine priced under $20,000- $30,000. No doubt there are those who can afford one but... It's the 1st time I have encountered someone like this. There was no discussion. Anything not her brand or at least twenty grand was a waste of money & a joke.

I LOVE to quilt but if I'd thought the only way to 'be serious' or 'any good' required a machine that cost more than some cars, I wouldn't have tried to begin with. Sadly I wonder how many hopeful quilters she's put off that way? She didn't seem elitist yet there is no discussion.

I guess ignorance is bliss. My Singer didn't know about its lack of breeding. Lol. Our sons & grandson all have quilts I made & acted like I'd given them a box of gold. I figure if my non-longarm Singer successfully did the job on those quilts, a sit down long arm machine from a reputable company might be a toy to her but it can be my Ferrari

I didn't post this to be mean about this shop owner but I thought about another shop I visited & how very different. I thought about the YouTube videos I used to learn to make ALL of my quilts, table runners, etc... from MO Star Quilt Co. A very different attitude, one of encouragement. So I am most Thankful this year for many things but the level of encouragement is a blessing to this little quilter.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thankful for those who encourage

I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. It's sad to think of the folks out there that may never know the joys of quilting because they thought that they couldn't "afford" to try!
    Bev

3. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes hesitate to make any machine recommendations when people ask because I don't know their price range. The best advice, I think is get the best that you can afford and feel comfortable with. For some that may be $200.00, for others it could be $20,000. Learn to do the best with what you have until something else comes along. I would have a hard time paying 20 grand for a machine unless I was planning on making a business out of it.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

5. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience quilters are open minded, loving and giving persons. But there are some exceptions even here where patchwork and quilting is an exotic hobby I met women who think only the modern quilt movement is worth to think about and traditional quilting is a waste of time. I think this is ridiculous because there wouldn't be modern quilting without traditional quilting, I am not an expert but I think it is the basis and if they can't appreciate the beauty of a traditional quilt I feel sorry for them.

Last week someone told me you can't quilt swirls with a DSM, you have to do it on a longarm. I have no idea how many long arms we have in Germany but surely not more than 20? I quilt swirls on my Janome and they come out great....

People should focus on having a good time with each other, there is enough to worry about these days...
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

7. Thanks Irene221b, dogsavvy, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice thing to be thankful for this season -- or any time!

I have a Riccar 3500 (bought in the late 80's) and wouldn't change it for the newest and best on the market today. If I ever purchased a Baby Lock or Janome or even a mid-arm (like Baby Lock's Tiara), I'd keep my Riccar!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

9. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's so sad. I am sure that she has turned off many potential buyers with that elitist attitude.

I plan to buy the HandiQuilter Simply Sixteen next year. I can buy this machine for $7,500 before tax. I would like to buy the Avante, but that is a $20,000 machine. I plan to get going with the Sixteen and if I can make a go of a business with this, then save up my pennies and buy the bigger machine. Jumping in at a high price point is not for everyone. Although, that being said, I did buy a TOL Babylock serger

11. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, that's seems to be a common theme with sales people. I encountered a sales person at a nationwide sewing machine store (that will remain unnamed) that must have been your sales person's twin. I went in to buy a new 1/4 inch pressure foot for the Singer 201 that I had inherited from my mother (she had passed away just a few months prior) which I had told the the sales person, and instead of offering her condolances, she asked "Don't you think it's time to upgrade?" and tried to lead me towards the highest priced sewing machine.

Needless to say, I walked out empty handed.

13. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogsavvy View Post
    I had an odd experience today.

Visited a quilt shop & was told not to bother with one of 'those toy long arms'. She had to explain what she meant by that. Bless her heart, she's entitled to her opinion however, it is not realistic to snub any machine priced under $20,000- $30,000. No doubt there are those who can afford one but... It's the 1st time I have encountered someone like this. There was no discussion. Anything not her brand or at least twenty grand was a waste of money & a joke.

I LOVE to quilt but if I'd thought the only way to 'be serious' or 'any good' required a machine that cost more than some cars, I wouldn't have tried to begin with. Sadly I wonder how many hopeful quilters she's put off that way? She didn't seem elitist yet there is no discussion.

I guess ignorance is bliss. My Singer didn't know about its lack of breeding. Lol. Our sons & grandson all have quilts I made & acted like I'd given them a box of gold. I figure if my non-longarm Singer successfully did the job on those quilts, a sit down long arm machine from a reputable company might be a toy to her but it can be my Ferrari

I didn't post this to be mean about this shop owner but I thought about another shop I visited & how very different. I thought about the YouTube videos I used to learn to make ALL of my quilts, table runners, etc... from MO Star Quilt Co. A very different attitude, one of encouragement. So I am most Thankful this year for many things but the level of encouragement is a blessing to this little quilter.

You haven't seen cell phone fanboys. Once you have seen them, nothing will faze you.

15. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Sadly, that's seems to be a common theme with sales people. I encountered a sales person at a nationwide sewing machine store (that will remain unnamed) that must have been your sales person's twin. I went in to buy a new 1/4 inch pressure foot for the Singer 201 that I had inherited from my mother (she had passed away just a few months prior) which I had told the the sales person, and instead of offering her condolances, she asked "Don't you think it's time to upgrade?" and tried to lead me towards the highest priced sewing machine.

Needless to say, I walked out empty handed.
    I also ran into one of those. She actually said she would save the machine before anything in a fire. I asked if she was joking, and she said no. My cats come first, the other half second. I'd wake him up to help with the cats. He can reason, they can't.

Anything else, all my tech, can go.

17. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever someone asks me about a machine --- I have my preferences and can say so, but will always tell them the benefits of another machine if I know it. They have to sew on it and be happy with it. If they do get a machine that totally suits them, I am happy for them since they can enjoy quilting, embroidery and sewing depending on machine.

19. Thanks dogsavvy thanked for this post