Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help! Possible qult top tragedy due to spray basting.

Hi everyone! My name is Erin and I am totally new to quilting. So far I've I've only made three baby quilts and two throws. I'm learning everything as I go, mostly on YouTube. I bought some basting spray just to see how that would work and that's what I've been using and loving it. The problem is, I was under the impression it was water-soluble and would come out in the wash, but it's not. A throw I made for my sister for Christmas looks totally bizarre after washing - almost as if it had been inflated and had the air sucked out of it. Weird wrinkles in the fabric, and lumps that weren't there before. The fabric is still clinging big time to the batting and I can feel how stuck it still is when I try to pull the layers apart (quilted into squares). I have now washed it four times in various temperatures and nothing is helping. It's Dritz brand which I am now seeing is not water soluble, but is supposed to dry out and lose tackiness over time. My question is: how much time? Should I just leave it alone for like a week and then wash it yet again? I did throw it in the wash within 48 hours of basting/finish it. The can said nothing about waiting. Anyway, I have another throw and a baby qulit with the same issue. I may cry if I have to toss them all. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help! Possible qult top tragedy due to spray basting.

Oh Erin, I am so sorry for your dilemma. I'm not much help as I've never encountered anything like this but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you. Don't despair...the people here are a terrific source of information, help and encouragement so...."big breath" and let's see what others have to say. Perhaps if you could post a photo of the quilt and the can it would help others to try and work out a solution for you.
    Why did you think it was water soluble....did a salesperson tell you? If so, I'd be paying them a little visit to advise them of your predicament.
    Cheer up.

3. Thanks mommadeb, whimkat thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the speedy response! I thought the spray was water soluble because everywhere I read about "spray baste" or "basting spray" either said they were water soluable and/or that they came out in the wash (kind of the same thing anyway, no?), so it didn't occur to me that there might be one that didn't. Of course, that one is the one I bought.

I tried to take pics but it's really more something you need to see in action, so here ya go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvE_Xg_xiS8

Thank you again!
    Last edited by whimkat; November 15th, 2016 at 03:20 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also found this on the Dritz site:

How long will the Temporary Adhesive Spray for Bonding Fabric or Paper hold fabric layers together?

Temporary adhesive spray will hold natural-fiber fabrics for about 6 months and polyester fabrics for about 4 months.

- See more at: http://www.dritz.com/education/quilt....Nry9iZ36.dpuf

I am sorry I am not much help.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

8. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Monique, I saw that article earlier today too. Not looking good, is it? �� The Dritz spray I have is a little different than the one you shared. This is what I have: http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewing....YjRgQVuc.dpbs

This is what the one you posted says about being water-soluble. I can't find any FAQ on the basting spray. Wondering I'd it's been discontinued or something.

"No, it’s not. However, when the fabric is washed, the bond breaks down and will wash out if the particles can migrate through the fabric. This product is acid free and does not cause any problems if it stays caught between the layers."

So far that's not my experience at all, but here's hoping. Thanks for taking the time!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It may be time to contact Dritz directly. Surely they have a customer service contact number listed . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

11. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so sorry for your problems with basting spray. I've never used the product. I prefer to pin baste.

13. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used 505 spray. I tried a couple of different brands at the beginning and am really pleased with the 505, even if I have to order it online.

I would probably call Dritz customer service and see what they recommend. And, I'd keep washing. Hopefully it will break down and lay down soon. The other option is to quilt a bit closer so that it's not so obvious that there's a problem between the quilting. Good luck

15. Thanks Irene221b, whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it actually 'stuck' to the batting? It didn't appear so in the video. The wrinkles, and it not laying flat, are all part of what almost any quilt will look like after it has been washed. Unless it is hard and stiff, I don't think I would be concerned. I have used that spray baste before, and never had an issue. Maybe you over sprayed. Hope you can come up with an answer that helps you out.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

17. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post