Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help! Possible qult top tragedy due to spray basting.

I saw your video, and I understand, but am wondering why you'd want to pull the layers apart. I'm a newer quilter myself, and still do stitch in the ditch, but usually 4" apart, so even though I have used spray basting, I haven't been compelled to try to pull the layers apart. I mean 4" isn't enough room to get a good grab.
    All quilts will shrink up and get a bit scrunchy. If yours got scrunchier than you like, mabe look at the fabric, and/or batting you used.

I don't know if you used a walking foot or not, but I tried to get away without it once, and the quilt backing look horribly scrunchy after about 4 lines of stiching. I wished I had noticed it sooner, but it didn't really look bad after one line of stitches. I carefully removed all the stiches, and put on my walking foot. HUGE difference.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, I feel so bad for you. I'm hoping the tub soaking will help make the quilt more pliable
    What a nice lesson for the rest of us. So many good suggestions. Glad that you weren't so stubborn that you didn't ask for help. Now we can all learn something. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigglebuns View Post
    The other option is to quilt a bit closer so that it's not so obvious that there's a problem between the quilting. Good luck
    This what I was thinking too...it seems your quilting is too far apart. I've never used the spray baste...prefer to pin it if I am not using my long-arm.
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi whimkat. I'm having this issue with a 15 year old quilt that I repaired and replaced the batting. I wanted to know if anything you tried ever worked to get the spray baste out of your quilt?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I use 505 and spray VERY lightly. So far, no problems.