Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help! Possible qult top tragedy due to spray basting.

After looking at your picture, I believe you need to quilt closer together. When you leave that much space unquilted, it will puff up when you wash it. It looks to me like you quilted around big areas but did not quilt within those areas. I would not worry about the unfinished projects. Just make your quilting closer together. Batting will say how close quilting lines need to be. Don't despair. All of us have had some less than desirable results in our quilting careers.

2. Thanks sydneybean, whimkat thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Erin, I watched your video ... I'm not sure what happened ... I've used 505 spray basting and never encountered this. I think at this point I'd offer a couple of choices ... fill the bathtub with water and your laundry detergent and let it soak overnight or if your washing machine has a pre soak option that might work. What brand of detergent do you use in your washer? I'm only asking as I know some make their own detergent and if you do, it may not be enough to get out the tackiness of the spray basting ... kinda reaching there but racking my brain for suggestions. Not judging, but did you use one can of spray basting per project? If your answer is yes or almost, then my answer would be keep washing. It will eventually come out.
    Sherrie

4. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry too you are having these issues. The quilts Look lovely though. I never had problems with basting spray - I've use 505 and June Tailor. I would suggest adding a good amount of white vinegar to the wash or soak. It is good for releasing glue.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

6. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and checked a quilt that I used 505 spray on. It has only been washed once. When I pull the top from the batting, between the quilting, it is adhered together. It's just about the same amount of tackiness that it was before washing. This is not something that bothers me, but it may bother some people.

8. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

So it turns out I can't figure out how to respond to each person individually, so here's a general update:

I decided to stop washing it, thinking that if - as Dritz says - the glue will not wash out but will lose tackiness when dry, washing/wetting/warming might be working against me? I have also been using the "air dry" setting on my dryer to try to "dehumidify" the glue. That seems to be helping. So far I've run it for probably six hours. Don't love that, but hey - gotta do what I've gotta do. At least I know better now.

I totally agree I should quilt closer together. I admit I am terribly impatient and also a newbie using a sewing machine with a small harp, so stuffing it through there . . . I just lose my will to do it. I know that's no excuse! Just trying to keep it simple as I learn, you know?

I actually like the "puffy" look in quilts, but don't mind the crinkles either. It just bugs me that it's not just crinkly, but very stuck. You can feel it. The fabric doesn't move. Hard to expain. If it was just for me, I wouldn't care as much, but it's a gift for someone who's totally wary of chemicals and I don't think she'll use it if it's obvious that's there's stuff "in there". I didn't worry about it initially because I thought it was going to wash out.

The first time I washed it, I did use an all-natural (but still commercial) detergent (ECOSYSTEM brand), but the following three washes were with regular HE detergent (Sun, I think. I'm cheap!). I have used fabric softener only once. I can definitely try soaking with that and/or vinegar. Like I said, at this point, I don't even expect it to come out, I'd just like it to be unstuck.

My washer does have a pre-soak option but I think it only goes for like 30 minutes. I could just go turn it off mid-soak, but I'm not sure how to restart it so it doesn't go through a whole new wash cycle instead of just draining, rinsing, and spinning. That in itself isn't an issue, except that I'd end up with double the water in th drum and that could definitely be an issue! Darned fancy computerized washers! Sometimes I miss my crappy old one. :-P The tub may be a decent option, I just recall from experience that un-spun wet quilts are insanely heavy. And, well. wet. Lol.

Because I don't wish to have this issue again - but am still way too impatient and ADHD (and stubborn!) to pin baste - I've been researching alternatives. Found a couple recipes for a homemade washable Elmer's glue spray, as well as a flour/water spray. I'm thinking of maybe making a hybrid of those and also adding some xanthan gum (used in gluten free baking as a binder) for some extra stick. I'll let you know how it goes. I have three tops to make before I start sandwiching, so it might be a while.

Thank you again for all your input!
    Last edited by whimkat; November 17th, 2016 at 05:46 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    I also found this on the Dritz site:

How long will the Temporary Adhesive Spray for Bonding Fabric or Paper hold fabric layers together?

Temporary adhesive spray will hold natural-fiber fabrics for about 6 months and polyester fabrics for about 4 months.

- See more at: [url]http://www.dritz.com/education/quilting-sewing-faq/glues-bonding-stabilizers/temporary-adhesive-spray/#sthash.Nry9iZ36.dpuf[/ur
    I am sorry I am not much help.
    this is the one use and has worked for me. I don't over spray just enough to hold it all. Once quilted i was and it seems to wash out , again I don't over spray. Hold this help you out.
    Last edited by giig21; November 17th, 2016 at 11:44 PM.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

11. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh this is so unexpected! I sure hope you can figure it out.

Next time, don't create a hybrid of alternatives. Use one and see how it works. Start out simple and then add another if you really need it.

13. Thanks whimkat thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have managed to get the adhesive off yet, but in the chance that you have not, may I suggest adding a 1/2 cup of vinegar to the wash? Vinegar breaks down alot of adhesives.
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

15. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    Gosh this is so unexpected! I sure hope you can figure it out.

Next time, don't create a hybrid of alternatives. Use one and see how it works. Start out simple and then add another if you really need it.
    Hi, Snippet! :-) Thanks for your thoughts. I actually haven't made or used any alternatives - yet! :-) Still trying to salvage the quilts victimized by the Dritz nightmare. I didn't think I oversprayed, but as I said, I'm totally new to this, so maybe I did. :-/ I soaked it in water and fabric softener overnight and the adhesive seems to be letting go, so I'm hopeful that once it's rinsed and dryed, it be okay. Wish me luck! :-)

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again to everyone who has offered suggestions! I wanted to mention, just because it kind of cracked me up, that I tried to soak the quilt in my washer overnight as some of you suggested. It's default soak option is only about a half an hour (and can't be adjusted as far as I can tell) so I tried to get past that by filling it up, lifting the top, and turning it off. Seemed simple enough. Then went downstairs to work on a quilt. Five minutes later, I heard what sounded like the washer draining in the room above and I ran upstairs. Sure enough, the thing had turned itself back on and stared draining! It's ALIVE!!! I guess in the future I have to actually unplug it!?! Who knew an appliance could be so insubordinate.

Anyway, the quilt is in the tub. I shall report back later.

18. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post