Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squaring up a Rectangular Quilt Block

I've completed the blocks for a new quilt for my grandson. Each block is supposed to measure 17" x 16" - I've never squared up a block this large nor have I had a rectangular block to "square" up. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around doing it like a square block since there's no diagonal nor straight down the middle seam to go by. I'd sure appreciate any help you could give on how to go about this.

ps - I've no idea how "block queen" got to be a part of my profile, lol. Right now I feel like a block head!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Squaring up a Rectangular Quilt Block

This is a good question. I have never had to square up such a large block. But I've thought about making big blocks and have wondered the same thing. Someone with more experience will probably have a better answer but there are big rulers that measure 20 1/2" X 20 1/2" and this would do the trick in the case of the block you want to square up. I'm not sure but I think there are even 24" square rulers too.

Here's a link to one: https://www.amazon.com/Omnigrip-2-In.../dp/B001CE394M

3. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use the lines on your cutting mat?

5. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you find a good way of squaring those blocks up. The title under our names changes as we post more messages. Not a change we make ourselves, but the forum does automatically.

7. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I was also going to recommend using the lines on your cutting mat for something that large.
    Debbie

9. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

You can square up using the lines on your cutting mat like others have suggested, what makes it tricky is having no centering or diagonal seam. I have used different seams within a block, and just 'done the math' for each side to make the final block come out right. Hope it turns out well!
    Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.

11. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the replies. I've gone online and done a dozen searches and have borrowed a 20" Omnigrid square ruler. I'm having lots of trouble seeing through the thing - too many lines and colors - but have ended up putting tape on it at the 16/17 in intersection. Then, because I'm chicken, I'm using my frixion pen to mark out the lines and then measuring them without the 20" square to make certain I end up with the right measurements.

As for centering it - that's where the truly hard part is coming in play. It's an Aviator Quilt pattern so I'm finding I have to go back and take smaller measurements along each side of the wings to make sure I have some semblance of equal distance. ugh!

I'm hoping and praying for the best, lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about folding it in half and then again to find your middle point. Then use your mat.

Lorie

14. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    How about folding it in half and then again to find your middle point. Then use your mat.
    I agree with Lorie. Good luck and take your time.
    Cindy

16. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up doing a bit of all the above and believe it or not, they're pretty even now! I have spatial problems so without a center point (which I took your advice and did the fold/fold/mark) and it being rectangular instead of square, well, I think it took a bit of "this and that" to get it done. I also used the mat for that very last cut on each block.

The task is done and I so appreciate all your help and advice. What a great forum!

18. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post