Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Question Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I recently completed the Courthouse Steps Quilt that is in the last issue of Block Magazine in Christmas fabric. The person who taught me how to long arm quilt recently, suggested maybe using green thread to do the quilting, but I think it might be a bit much considering there is so much white on the quilt top. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I'' not a longarner...and the quilting I do is very simple, so I'' probably not the person to ask.... But... Maybe you could add yourself how much you want the quilting to show...... maybe lay strands of the green over the quilt, and see how it looks...

I think it all comes down to how you want your quilt to look, and what aspects of it you want to emphasize...

Wishing you luck...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I agree with Easyquilts. I know when I take my tops to the longarmer she pulls out different spools and unwinds a long piece of thread then lays it over the quilt to see if I like how it looks. Of course I always do but I am always surprised how laying the thread on the actual top seems to look different than the thread looks on the spool. I hope that makes sense and isn't too confusing.
    Don't worry, be scrappy!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll try that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have quilted my last 2 or 3 with a golden/greeny/tan color and really liked it, they were Fall and Christmas colors with a cream rather than white background.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try that, but I've looked at all those done in the Block Magazine and particularly this one that I've done just like one they quilted, and it was done with white or off-white. I'm just afraid that since this will only be my second attempt at long arm quilting myself, the colored thread might tend to show any "oops" easier. Thanks for the suggestion.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that is pretty! Thanks for the help. The white in mine is not stark white, but more of a snow white (just a touch of cream).

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just took a FMQ class this past weekend offered by my quilt guild. The instructor said you should always pull a good amount of thread from the spool and puddle it on the quilt so that it hits background, different colors, etc. - do not just lay a somewhat short length of thread over the quilt. I would try this out with a couple of different threads and see how they all look, then make your decision.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea. Thanks.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask. What is a FMQ class?