Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick pickles?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick pickles?

I'm kind of getting into homemade lately. I just ordered a tortilla press! Now I'm looking at quick pickles. I can look up recipes, but want your favorites if you make them.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick pickles?

This is semi-homemade. Even my DH that does not like pickles eats these:

Sweet Kosher Dills

46 ounce jar Whole Kosher Dills
    ½ cup white vinegar
    ½ cup pickle juice (from jar)
    3 Cups sugar
    1 heaping tablespoon Pickling Spice

Drain all pickle juice from jar into a bowl, set aside. Remove pickles from jar. Bring ½ cup of reserved pickle juice, ½ cup white vinegar, 3 cups sugar, and pickling spice(tied in cheesecloth bag if desired) to boil. Slice whole pickles into thick slices, return pickles to jar. Pour hot liquid over pickles in jar. Let cool then place in refrigerator. Will be ready to eat in about 3 days.

I sometimes sub the Vlasic Stackers for the whole dills. Great for sandwiches.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

3. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to buy pickles to make pickles. lol I was thinking more like pickled onions or zucchini ect.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is our family favorite.

SWEET PICKLE STICKS
    Use firm, fresh, medium cucumbers. Wash and cut into sticks the long way. Use about 12 cucumbers. Pour boiling water over them and let stand 4 to 5 hours. Drain and pack solid in clean jars.
    Make a solution of 3 cups sugar, 3 3/4 cups vinegar, 3 tablespoons salt, 4 1/2 teaspoons celery seed, 4 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed, 3/4 teaspoon turmeric. Boil solution for 5 minutes. Pour over cucumbers in jars. Process in water bath 5 minutes.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pickled asparagus is good, and didn't take too long. You can make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks Yanna thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Pickled beets, then pickle eggs in the juice after they're gone or with them. Delicious together in a salad!

The easiest way ...buy canned beets, put in a container and add sugar and vinegar that you've heated on the stove until sugar dissolves. It's a bit of a cheat but honestly it's so easy and tastes no different, I rarely cook fresh beets for it. I don't have a recipe, I've done it so much I can eyeball it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I don't want to buy pickles to make pickles. lol I was thinking more like pickled onions or zucchini ect.
    LOL I get it! I used to make a lot of different types including relish when we gardened. They were all my mom's recipes, old methods that I'm not sure I would trust now. Last time I made relish I got the recipe from the Ball Blue Book
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just made pickled green tomato slices but sort of made up my recipe as I went. I used equal parts water and apple cider vinegar to cover (I had about a quart of tomato slices so it wasn't that much), brought to a boil, added 1/2 cup brown sugar and salt and pepper. Had a small bottle of McCormicks pickling spices and put half the bottle into a square of white cloth and tied it. Dropped it into the hot water/vinegar mixture and let it steep for about an hour. When cool I poured it over the tomato slices and refrigerated. YUMMY.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

3-Hour Refrigerator/Freezer Pickles

6 cups THINLY sliced unpeeled cucumbers
    3 small onions, diced
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    2 Tblsp pickling or canning salt
    1/2 to 1 tsp dried dill weed
    1 cup apple cider vinegar

Combine sugar, salt, dill and vinegar and mix until the sugar is totally dissolved. Pour mixture over cucumbers and onions. Stir well.

Pour into covered containers and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. These can be frozen after they are refrigerated for 3 hours.

Note: I love having small containers of these in the freezer. They aren't a traditional pickle, but they're yummy with sandwiches.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bubby, I use that freezer pickle recipe too. I love it and will also just use them for a snack. It's true too....they are ultra easy to do.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique