Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default .....latest on MM

After being off chemo for the past two weeks, we got the results back from the cat scan. At this time, there is no trace of cancer in the scan. One of his lymph nodes is enlarged, but they feel that may be due to his psoriasis, which is an auto immune disease.

He had the first round of chemo in the third cycle today and we have both been sick this afternoon. It normally takes a day or two, so it's happened a lot faster this time. He was planning on working from home tonight, but one of the other guys is on vacation and the other called in sick so he had to go in. As he left he said he thought he'd be back in a few hours.

Our daughter was over. As he was getting ready for work, he took off the shirt he was wearing earlier and brought it out to where we were so she could see if she could smell anything. She thought she did (I was happy about that!) and a short time later, she started itching like she had the hives. Now I know I should not be celebrating this, but there is now one more person on my side who no longer things I am crazy! The doctor I don't care for today, did mention the illness I get from MM's chemo and I told him how much better it's been the past two weeks. MM backed me up and told me it's been much different since he was off the chemo before the doctor had a chance to say something about it.

After the next two cycles of chemo, he gets a week off and then they still want to do major surgery. MM does not want to do that. The doctor said that had he known that, he would have referred him to a radiology oncologist so he would also be having that done. We have a consult with one on Thursday afternoon.

So while it is good news there is no sign of the beast, they still are pushing/stressing surgery. We'll see how Thursday goes.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks Andrea F, songbird857, mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: .....latest on MM

Thanks for the update! is it the smell that makes you feel sick? I don't think you are crazy! But it sure would be nice to have a doctor you liked while you are going through this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As the drugs escape his body thru his pores, I can smell it, and that is what makes me sick. I can take his anti puke pills and that helps to calm it down. Today, a new symptom has presented itself and it feels like my tongue is swollen and raw, like the taste buds are all inflamed. I've looked at it and had my daughter look and it looks fine to both of us, but it dues does not feel fine! He is also back to using the second bathroom as well, and that helped a lot after the previous chemos.

As I said, it usually is the next day, or even the day after that before it starts up, but it hit us both today. He had the upset stomach and had to take some meds for that (mine was too, but I roughed it out), and we both had headaches. Plus my tongue. The doctor is growing on me, but he sure made me made when he told me he felt I was crazy. I probably would not even go to the oncology appointments with MM, but that doctor is Asian and MM has a hard time understand him, but I don't.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY! I wish there was something I could do for you. Keeping you in my prayers.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your definitely not crazy. A doctor on your side and understanding would be a plus.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know what I have to say about that - and that's that!!

Thanks for the update. Crazy or not, we'll keep you . . . (personal experience coming into play on that one . . . )
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

8. Thanks bubba, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you're going through this. Glad to hear the scans came back clear. Hang in there - hugs and prayers for you both.
    Cindy

10. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear his scans are clear. Prayers will continue for both of you.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Pat, you are not nuts. Have you heard the expression 'chemo brain?' Many docs pooh pooh the term, but many do not. Just think of all the poison they pump into you to make you well. It does hit ALL the cells in your body or it wouldn't work.

Having gone though radiation with chemo, I would not wish that on anyone. I had some surgery before the treatments, but it could only do so much. If you have the option of surgery without radiation, I would get more info or talk to those who have been though it before making that decision. Just MHO from one who has been there.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Pat, and thanks for the update.

Have you seen or spoken with your own MD? Maybe s/he would be more willing to listen to you? Some insurance companies have "advice nurses" you can talk to on the phone as a free service. I would also see if there's a nurse at the hospital or wherever MM is being treated that would be willing to hear you out.

I was supposed to drink 64 oz. of water (2 liters) a day when I was on chemo, but it tasted too much like swallowing rocks, so I didn't. Wish I had, though; it would have made life a LOT easier. Shoulda' just forced myself to down it, as the water helps somewhat to flush the excess drugs out of your system. Try to stay hydrated - couldn't hurt, and might help.

Quilty hugs and blessings to you, dear one. Hang in there, and know that we're praying and pulling for you both.