Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting a Bargello

I am making a "wavy" bargello out of a rainbow batik jelly roll, with the addition of a couple darker strips for contrast. I am wondering how to quilt it. Thinking maybe following the flowing lines of the colors, a quilting line running diagonally through each color piece, from one side of the quilt to the other. Does that make sense?
    Anyone who has made a bargello, what did you do with the quilting? Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting a Bargello

I'll be interested in seeing what everyone has to say also.

I started a bargello at the Fall Forum Retreat (with lots of help from Snippet). I have 11 strips yet to sew, I haven't touched it since the forum. I'm making it for my hubby and I want it to be a surprise so that means I have to wait till he's gone to work on it. He starts night shift next week so I hope to get the top finished then.

I'm hoping to quilt it using my walking foot, what color of thread for quilting does everyone recommend for a rainbow bargello?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Snip Snip. I have just finished a wavy Bargello doing exactly as you have suggested.

I actually used monofilament for the quilting as I really wanted the "wave" effect to be uninterrupted and every colored thread I tried "stood out" on one or more of the coloured blocks. Even my old favourite colour soft grey. I found the monofilament easy to work with...just dropped my thread tension down a couple of numbers to compensate for the stretchiness, used aa Aurafil 50wt cotton thread in the bobbin to match my backing fabric, used a 70 microtex needle and sewed quite slowly.

The effect turned out exactly how I envisaged it...the stitching line beautifully accentuates the waves so I am very pleased BUT a couple of things I didn't consider were......
    (1) Sewing on the diagonal meant that I had more bulk going through my harp space for a goodly period of time...ugh...exhausting despite my 10 inch space.
    (2) Sewing through every column took forever......and ever!
    (3) Sewing so densely on the diagonal skewed my quilt which was pretty square before I started quilting but afterwards I was "out" by a couple of inches! Now, this quilt is just a "practice" quilt destined to live on my caravan bed so I wasn't overly upset...simply straightened my edges and left it. To the casual eye you can't see the difference, and plopped on the bed in the little caravan you definately can't tell it is a bit skewed but if this quilt was destined for another purpose I probably would be pretty grumpy. Now this is probably just due to my stitching and another quilter with more experience and technique would more than likely have no problem....I guess.

The first 2 pics are of the quilt after quilting and the last one is the top draped on my bed before sandwiching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA291723 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	136699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA291724 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	136700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010028 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	136701  

4. Thanks Granny Fran, tamsterg7, Sylvia H, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    Thinking maybe following the flowing lines of the colors, a quilting line running diagonally through each color piece, from one side of the quilt to the other.
    That is exactly how I quilt all of my bargellos. I have made more than a dozen. I change the thread color to match the fabric color I am quilting through.

As Just4me posted it is possible to see distortion through the quilt sandwich when using this technique. After I switched to an "open toe" walking foot I hardly see any distortion. Make sure you get the right open toe walking foot for your machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-P...ing+foot&psc=1
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, I hadn't given a thought to which foot would be needed. I don't have a walking foot for my Singer S16, which has the large harp necessary to quilt this baby. Maybe time to buy one.
    I kinda like the idea of changing the color of the top thread to match the strips. There are 22 colors, but in actuality, probably only about 8 different thread colors would be needed, as some of the colors are very close in hue.
    And I'm also thinking it might be OK to end the quilting early on about every other color strip, as they get very narrow with those 1/2" (after seams) pieces. Then start the line of quilting again after the pieces get larger. Maybe that would alleviate the drawing up issue. ??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it would work to stitch every other one? Or would that be too far apart? Or just not look right?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It might work. I don't think it would look weird.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

1. Just4me - your bargello is BEAUTIFUL! I like the idea of monofliament thread. (However, I was unsuccessful the time I tried to use it. I'll give it another try, though.)

2. I have several bargellos on my to do list - but I haven't made any as of now. However, I did study how to quilt one of my future bargellos. The pattern shows quilting designs on the sections that are similarly colored. So, if you have a wave that is made of three different light blue fabrics, you do a design within that wave. In this way, you do not have to quilt within each block. (Hope that makes sense.)
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I actually did try using several different threads....had picked out about 6 that would cover all the different shades but the stitches still stood out too much for me. And due to my wonky vision it was near impossible for me to line up the end of one colour thread with the start of the next colour. In retrospect, perhaps I could've opted for a thinner cotton thread I guess.

And yep, used my good old trusty walking foot. Perhaps the top being constructed in 4 panels could lend itself to skewing if in the hands of a novice like me? Here's a couple more pics of it completed that show the quilting a bit easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-29_16-39-22_448 (Mobile).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	136738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-29_16-39-34_7 (Mobile).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	136739  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Skewed or not, just4me, it's a beautiful quilt.