Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone know what this bias binding is called?

https://youtu.be/J3Q3rXvfSh0

I hadn't seen this method of making bias binding from a fat quarter before. Anyone know what it's called? This video doesn't say. I was peeking around to find a way to make a couple of skinny strips for doing single fold binding on a mug rug while leaving the rest of my precious piece of fabric available for either wider binding or usable scraps. It's a stripe I want on the bias - that was my dilemma and this method looks like it will work the best.

You fold the corners in so they touch the center of the fabric, then you fold the whole thing in half, and half again. Then cut desired width. Here are stills from the video.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	136330Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	136331

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	136332Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	136333

2. Thanks liz72703, mary3100, Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone know what this bias binding is called?

Very neat!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea. Would it also work with a square of fabric do you think if you weren't using a fat quarter?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It sure is neat, yes! I've looked and looked and this is the only instance of this I can find. It's not "continuous bias binding". I really wish to know what this is called so I can refer to it.

Well I went to cut my binding and thought to myself I might as well just lay my ruler on flat fabric and cut the 45* angle because i only wanted about two strips. Then I thought hey, why not just fold the fabric like the tutorial and try it. Oh my, it worked perfectly without any fuss, plus it was super fast. I have two huge triangles left from my fat quarter, exactly what I'd hoped for so I can use it for something else.

It worked so well I'm going to use it from now on for all bias strips. Those methods where you fold corner to corner, cut, sew, draw lines, cut and cut and cut with scissors to make your strip are far more work. Yes I had to sew my strips together but that is fast and more enjoyable to me than trying to remember multiple steps to make that continuous tube I have to cut by hand.

I just had to come and share how well it worked, because I am flabbergasted at how simple it is. My fabric wasn't ironed, it wasn't squared up, it didn't have to be folded in an exact way - close enough turned out to be perfect. I just threw down my fat quarter, eyeballed the corners folded to the center, folded it on itself like a burrito, and suddenly had perfect bias strips. It even beats WOF strips for ease of cutting. My stripes matched up, it's stunning.

6. Thanks Devchdm, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewUK View Post
    Great idea. Would it also work with a square of fabric do you think if you weren't using a fat quarter?
    It sure would. I'll have to do another piece and measure the strip lengths. That'd give you a reference for what you'd get from a different sized square. Obviously the longest strips come from the center, so if you measured your square corner to corner you'd know your longest strip length (subtract a couple inches because those points will be removed when you sew).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this. I need to cut bias binding for some Christmas projects. I've never done it before and I've been afraid to try for fear of ruining my fabric. This looks really easy.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

So you only have the stills of the video and you don't know how to find the video, is that the question? It sure is a neat idea! I don't make bias strips often but will keep this in mind when I do

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

No, I want to know if the method has a name. I am just calling it the burrito, haha! Maybe there isn't a name, it's just a simple way of cutting bias strips. Maybe I'll go to her website and find her email and ask.

Anywhere I can cut corners, not have to review steps I can't remember, I'm all for it—so long as it yields the result I'm looking for. This is so simple I assumed it'd be sloppy, but it yielded the best binding strips I've ever done.

This would be great for classes and retreats too! (People really sew at those, right??) I cut my "burrito" on my little 4"x6" mat with my Itty Bitty Eights ruler—how much more compact can you get?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Burrito is a good name. Crafty Gemini called her pillow cases that too.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Burrito is a good name. Crafty Gemini called her pillow cases that too.
    I'm hungry, lol!