Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Interfacing Recommendations

FYI -- I have used fusible fleece for rag quilts. JoAnn's is having a really good deal on interfacing right now and want to stock up on some interfacing. So:

1) I am cutting quilt blocks out of an old sheet my husband had as a child; parts of the sheet are thinly worn and am thinking about putting interfacing on the back of those blocks to prevent them from wearing as fast once in the quilt (these sheet blocks will have several scrappy strip borders around it with new quilt fabric). What type of interfacing would you recommend for these thinly worn blocks?

2) Will be making the M* & Crafty Gemini Improv Tote -- is the In R Form Plus still the best option for a stiff, stand up tote?

3) Suggestions for interfacing for making wallets/clutches? I have some patterns which specify specific interfacing, but wondering if there is a good general one to stock up on for these types of projects.

4) Any other suggestions for stocking up on interfacing in general?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interfacing Recommendations

I wish I had answers to your excellent questions! But may I add one question to the list?

What kind of interfacing is best for making a T-shirt quilt?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here is my opinion.

Sf101 fusible woven interfacing is the best all around interfacing for wallets, t shirt quilts, bag linings and pockets. It is only 20" wi de but you can get it from Overstock or Walmart at a nice discount . I hear they are coming out with a 60" wide version. Haven't seen it yet.

I like lightweight fusible non woven for t shirt quilts. It's easy to quilt through and is sufficient to give the cut t shirt section enough body. But a quilt store sold me lightweight fusible knit for this purpose. The knit was way more expensive that the non woven. Lost the knit when I was making my one and only t shirt quilt so I haven't tried it.

Improv tote. I LOVE Bosal In-R-Form as a foam interfacing. You can get 3 versions, non fusible, 1sided fusible or 2 sided fusible. Other foams are Soft and Stable, Pellon FF77, or headliner. I do really like Bosal the best

Others are Pellon 70, 71,72. Really stiff, non fusible to 2 sided fusible
    Decor Bond and Craft Fuse. 808,809. Stiff, but not as stiff as thePellon 70-72. I use this on straps and edges of my wallets

Fusible fleece, seem to give some body to the product, but I think they don't give enough body to shape purses. What do you guys recommend for giving a purse good body?
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; October 17th, 2016 at 05:15 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use Shape Flex and Soft and Stable. I make Soft and Stable fusible by pairing it with Steam-A-Steam 2

There's one more I've slowly been testing out Thermolam (Pellon 971F). I'm iffy on it. It has more body than fusible fleece but I've had issues with it staying adhered to my fabric.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    I mostly use Shape Flex and Soft and Stable. I make Soft and Stable fusible by pairing it with Steam-A-Steam 2

There's one more I've slowly been testing out Thermolam (Pellon 971F). I'm iffy on it. It has more body than fusible fleece but I've had issues with it staying adhered to my fabric.
    Thermolam gets less adherent the more you iron it, not unlike similar products but it does seem to have a bit more trouble with excess heat than most. Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs sells her own product and says it's better, but I haven't bought any to try yet.

Stabilizing worn fabric is difficult, it's still going to wear from the top if you use the quilt. Shape Flex would be too stiff, I think. Some fusibles like that are cotton and that would be a good thing to look for. I've been experimenting with a few things lately but can't think of any I've tried that would work for old fabric.

When I want to figure out what to use, I often look up patterns that look like what I need and find the materials list. Even from a photo you can tell if something is bulky, wrinkly, far too stiff, etc., or jusssssst right.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone!

Jean, I'm pretty sure that I have SF101 in my vast collection of stabilizers. So I don't even need to drive to the store!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your suggestions. Sometimes I'll also use Pellon Decor-Bond for wallets as well. I'm also not a fan of Fusible Fleece for bags - too saggy and it's difficult to sew through several layers. I'm also a big fan of Bosal In-R-Form. My favourite is the single sided fusible.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I use tricot fusible interfacing for general lightweight soft interfacing. I don't trust non wovens to not come apart with repeated washing. I've used decor bond and a stiff pellon for bags. Sorry I don't remember which one.

Okay, got off my lazy rear end and went and got the pattern. I used Pellow 987F Fusible and Pellon 71F Peltex single side fusible on one purse I made (actually I made it the 4 times now lol). It worked very well and I plan to use it in purses in the future.
    Last edited by cashs mom; October 21st, 2016 at 11:19 PM.