Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Press & Seal For Sampling Quilting Ideas

Just thought I would share this idea.......not sure if this has been posted before.

I was trying to decide how to big stitch quilt a star on my current project. I remembered on a Craftsy video where they used a sheet of clear plastic to draw on.......I didn't have that but I do have a roll of Glad Press & Seal. So I tore off a piece of it and hand pressed it onto my fabric and it held in place! Then I just took my ruler & an ink pen and started drawing lines. I can see perfectly through the Press and Seal. Now I know how I want to stitch the star and will use painters tape a my guide lines. WooHoo............I'm off to try big stitch quilting again!

Hope this idea will help other friends in quilting land.
    Last edited by pcbatiks; October 19th, 2016 at 02:11 PM.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Press & Seal For Sampling Quilting Ideas

Brilliant idea!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

3. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you leave it in place as you FMQ? I think it would be harder to pick off than the golden threads paper is.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

5. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the great tip!

I was using a piece of (report cover) clear plastic to audition my quilting patterns, but was limited to the size of the sheet (8 1/2 x 11), I like your idea so much more as you can cover a bigger area and borders too!

7. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Do you leave it in place as you FMQ? I think it would be harder to pick off than the golden threads paper is.
    Hey Pat, I used this idea for hand quilting......just to try quilting ideas without marking on my fabric. I drew lines on the press and seal so I could see what it looked like. Then I removed the press & seal and marked my lines with painter's tape.....because I was using straight lines. Not sure if you could FMQ with press & seal in place or not....possibly. But like you said, it might be hard to pick off the pieces.

Another possibility was.......the idea I learned on Craftsy was to used freezer paper cut into the shapes of your desired quilting design......then press them in place and quilt around them. Then the paper just peels off. I plan on using that idea too.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

9. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do use Glad Press and Seal sometimes to audition my quilting motifs. Seeing it actually on the fabric, full scale, gives me different ideas than drawing on a separate piece of paper, or trying to figure something out in EQ7. It is particularly useful for figuring out motifs on Jinny Beyer border fabric, which I love. My favorite part is if I like the idea I can peal it off and save it for future use elsewhere.

I do not quilt through the Press and Seal. I just use it to audition different ideas.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

11. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great idea for auditioning designs. Personally, I'd use a washable marker, not ink pen in case it put a hole through the Press-n-Seal while I was drawing the design. I wouldn't want to get the ink on the fabric itself.

I did try quilting through it once...NEVER AGAIN! Trying to pick the tiny bits out from between the stitches is not fun. Especially if you have an area with a lot of stitching overlapping or small stitches. I like to use wash away stabilizers if I'm going to quilt through a design.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought 1/2 yard of clear vinyl at joanns fabrics, using coupon, and a wet erase marker not dry erase. Can be erased with damp paper towel. Reusable, over and over.

14. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

great idea! I used tracing paper in a similar way once but of course I had to pin it and keep it still. This is much better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large sheet of plexiglass.....about 15 x22".....then I put some brightly colored tape around the edges. I use wet erase markers to draw on my designs right over my quilt. Then I remove the plexiglass from the quilt, use a wet paper towel or spray mist with water and remove all marks. I do this away from the quilt to keep inks from smearing onto my quilt tops. The tape edge is a reminder of the edge, so that as you are drawing you don't run off the edge and mark on your quilt top. The plexiglass is thin and easily stores on my quilting machine table.

I have used press and sew for sewing around template shapes and have even sewn over it. It wasn't too bad to pull out of the stitches, but tissue paper is easier to remove.