Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rag Quilt, cut edges, not fraying

I just finished my first rag quilt made from 100% cotton and cotton polyester blend fabrics. Spent all afternoon cutting the seams, popped it in the washer then the dryer and it looks exactly the way it did when i put it in the washer. (minus the loose threads that were all over it from doing all the cutting.) Any idea what is wrong? Could it be I have a front loading washing machine that does not agitate the clothes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rag Quilt, cut edges, not fraying

One would think the dryer would help the edges fray, even if the washer doesn't. How frustrating! You may have to wash/dry it a couple times more before it looks right.

3. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Polyester does not fray well.

5. Thanks cgshelly, SallyO'Sews, tassie devil thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure the cotton/poly blend fabrics will fray the way you want them to - flannel frays the most - 100% cotton frays but not as much as flannel. Can you tell the fraying difference between the poly blend fabric and the 100% cotton fabric?

Jeannette

7. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Poly blend will not fray like 100% cotton or 100% cotton flannel. It will fray eventually, but it will take several washings to notice a difference. Especially if the blend was more poly than cotton.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

9. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry your quilt didn't rag. I believe that the polyester blend fabrics are the culprit since they usually don't shrink or fray.

Normally, rag quilts are made from flannel, 100% cotton jeans fabric, homespun cotton fabrics (which are usually plaids) or similar cottons with a looser weave. Those fabrics will fray at the edges, which is what you want. I've made quite a few with flannels and one with jeans on top and homespun on the back. There are pictures in my album.

Can you post a picture? Forum friends may have some suggestions.

11. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Was it cut on grain and not skewed, even a little bit? You can actually use a weed-eater (clean plastic tie, of course) to fray it...my guess is that may be the only way to get this one to fray. I, too, believe it is the cotton/poly blend that is the culprit.
    Last edited by CraftySweetPeas; October 17th, 2016 at 09:20 PM.

13. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Would a wire brush, the kind that is used to clean a grill, work on fraying the fabric?
    Vonnie

15. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The above posts are right re: cotton and poly not fluffing up like flannel. However, as the quilt goes through more washes, there should be a little more fluff to the frayed edges (depending on how much poly is in the quilt).

My daughter did a rag quilt with 100% cotton (not flannel) and although it didn't fluff like flannel, it still looks very nice!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

17. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a raggie laptop made years ago. One layer of good cotton, one good flannel and one good muslin. The ends never ragged out that well, but the seams did.

First wash of quilt in a Frigidaire washer. That agitator went up and down rather than swish. Could be hard on clothes, but I liked it and can't find another. Think the dryer had only low, medium and high cycles, plus a fluff. I tend to keep things unless I can't find parts.

Later washed in newer machine, and dryer with more cycles. Still edges haven't fluffed like the seams.

Maybe it's the process used in printing and dying some fabrics that makes the difference?

19. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post