Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Smile How to Quilt my Bargello.....ideas please

So this is my Bargello...rather pleased with it for my first attempt at a Bargello and now I am starting to quilt it. Now, I want to do straight line quilting following the diagonal corner to corner of each "block"; I have seen that done in other Bargellos and like how it accentuates the curves.
    So I have tried a couple of rows using (a) one neutral colour and (b) changing thread colour as the block colour changes. I didn't like option (a) as the contrast of thread in some of the colour blocks felt/looked like it was interrupting the flow. Option (b) I liked much better...nice and subtle but as I am using a dark thread in the bobbin (dark blue backing) I was getting some points of light thread through on the backing. My tension is good and I know that sometimes this is just inevitable but it is bugging me big time.
    I was wondering, seeing my machine appears quite happy with monofilament in the top thread is there any reason why I couldn't do this sort of dense-ish quilting with monofilament instead of "normal" thread? The quilt is to be used on my caravan bed.
    Any opinions/advice most gratefully received.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010028 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	136267  

2. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Quilt my Bargello.....ideas please

Your quilt is beautiful! I can't help with the monofilament because I haven't used it sorry.I think straight line quilting will look good on a quilt that already has a lot of movement in it.
    Joan

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Well it will be straight line stitching but following the diagonal corners it actually curves with the blocks as they curve.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It seems fine to use monofilament since your machine has no problem with it. You might want to change your tension just a tiny bit to see if Option B gets better. But monofilament is a good option too.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou stationarymom and snippet....appreciated

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous quilt you are making!!! Was this a certain fabric line, or fabrics you assembled?
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like it and I bet no matter what you do to it it will be fabulous

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So pretty! I showed this a couple of times. It's not mine, just saved it for the quilting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue fence.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	136301

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is beautiful, I just love the colors!!! I am a hand quilter so don't know what to tell you.

I don't even know if I should go into this, don't want to scare you!! My MIL was an awesome quilter and even had her own quilt shop for awhile and was a quilting teacher too. We have about 30 of her quilts. She died about 5 years ago. Most of her quilts were made in the 80's and 90's and she used invisible thread on almost all of them. Don't know if monofilament thread is the same stuff. But many of the quilts she made are starting to fall apart where they were quilted, as though the thread is cutting into the fabric. It is such a shame. For that reason I would not personally use that type of thread myself. (Besides, I like to see the quilting not hide it.) Anyway if you decide to go forward using that thread I would definitely try to investigate this aspect of it further.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; October 15th, 2016 at 01:40 AM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles, the fabrics used are a "mish mash" of fabrics I bought. Grammaterry, thankyou for your kind comment and wow, Hulamoon..that is a lovely quilt and the quilting is so complimentary yet so simple....have to bookmark that one! Yep jjkaiser, that's the concern that I'm mulling over although I am sorely tempted to give it a go.