Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Design Wall

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Design Wall

I'm new to quilting and this forum but I'd like to share my design wall idea that I used in my sewing/craft room my husband built for me. My sewing room is in the basement of our 116 year old house. The basement was put in in the 70's and has no windows so we put in LOTS of light. It is small and I too didn't have any wall space after we put cabinets and desk space on 3 walls and wire shelving units on the fourth. So I bought a Solar Shade that rolls up and down by a cord. I rolled it out on the garage floor and used 3m spray adhesive and applied cotton batting starting at the top of the shade and worked my way down adhering a little at time to avoid wrinkles. When I finished and it had dried I rolled it up and then hung it from the ceiling so that when I rolled it down it would come down in front of my wall of shelving units (shelving holds all my fabric and books). When I don't need the design wall I just roll it up. And I can leave my pieces on the design wall and roll it up slowly and all my pieces are rolled up in the shade. Don't do that often, I like to only have one project going on at a time otherwise I get to feeling overwhelmed. Got the shade on line at walmart.com. If you have a room that has a closet, hang it above the closet so that when you roll it down it is close to the closed doors giving you a surface behind the shade. Hope this idea helps you, I love mine, solved my no wall space issue.

2. Thanks giig21, lourixe, liz72703 thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Design Wall

What a great idea! I am fortunate in having a lot of wall space and a lot of height in my basement My design wall is 2 4x8 sheets of 3/8" foam board. We covered each sheet with flannel (the 108" wide flannel sold at MSQC) and stapled on the back. My husband screwed it to the wall with some brass screws. I can lay out a pretty big quilt piece by piece and play around with the layout until I am satisfied...or I can lay out a couple of little quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

that sounds like a great idea,even if you do have wall space you might not always want your design wall up.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea - thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!!
    ***Kathy***