Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Denim quilt using june tailer circle

Hi , has anyone made the june tailor denim quilt using the circle cutter ? I have watched the video and understand it all but just one part where she says to sew the circles together along the edge , Do you use a 1/4 inch seam or much less? and also what does it all look like once made from the back view ( denim side)
    I have cut some circles and plan to use moda charm squares but the seem to be a tiny bit big in the corners , do you think this will ok?

thanks everyone for being no here its such a fabulous site to ask questions no matter how silly they seem.
    have a beautiful day

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Denim quilt using june tailer circle

I had to look that one up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MIx3tQ53M
    Maybe someone here has made it using the template.
    I tried years ago and it was difficult to cut all those circles. I remember drawing the lines. I used the plastic lid from a large container of oatmeal - LOL - template and rotary cutter would be easier.
    Looking at the video looks like she just barely catches the edge of the charm square when she does her seams. And from the back it looks like 5 inch squares. I think it would look neat with a big selection of denim.
    A glue stick would probably work too on attaching the charm to the denim.

Your best bet would be to make a small sample and see if you are wanting to do an entire quilt that way. Know any little girls who would like a doll quilt?

I like how she showed different examples. The decorative stitches were pretty. Also, this would make a great I Spy quilt and it could take a lot of rough handling.

Good luck. And have some fun with it.
    Vonnie

3. Thanks abbie, EsGrandma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is basically the same as the M* circle magic template. I made a runner with that and it was easy. I think Jenny's Cathedral Window tutorial is easier to understand than yours but that might be because I'm used to Jenny. If you are making the shabby chic version you sew on the edges of the charm. Don't make a 1/4" seam just use the edge of the charm as a guide. Don't forget, when you get done all your seams are on the inside. When you sew the flaps down I would use a 1/4" seam so that you get a decent raggy look. If you aren't making the shabby look, I found it easier to just cut two matching circles, one of your backing and one of your top material. Sew them right sides together then cut a tiny slit in the top material up in the flap and turn your circle. That way you have clean edges and the slit gets hidden when you sew the flap down.
    Please, make sure and share pictures when you are done.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

5. Thanks abbie thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, yes I thought it was just a very fine edge that is sewn before I fold the flaps over. I wonder what foot would work best for that? I might need to have a play with my sewing machine.
    I Love the idea of a spy quilt I did not think of that.. I am not too keen on cutting all the circles either but do what to have a go at making it so will see how I go with them .

thank you for your help

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abbie View Post
    Thank you ladies, yes I thought it was just a very fine edge that is sewn before I fold the flaps over. I wonder what foot would work best for that? I might need to have a play with my sewing machine.
    I Love the idea of a spy quilt I did not think of that.. I am not too keen on cutting all the circles either but do what to have a go at making it so will see how I go with them .

thank you for your help
    You could use an applique foot. It would be easier to see going around the curves. I had this on my list to do too.

Lorie