Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default weighted quilt/ what do you use to get the weight

A woman I know is a therapist and she has a child with a sensitivity disorder. She said one of the things that might work is a weighted blanket but the cost is $189 and the family can't afford it. she asked if I could make one.
    I don't know what they would use to weight it and how heavy would it need to be.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: weighted quilt/ what do you use to get the weight

Man-sewing did a tutorial on weighted blankets. Autistic children were mentioned in the video as benefiting from the weight. Its on you tube. Im on my mobile and cant get the link to work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Lady View Post
    Man-sewing did a tutorial on weighted blankets. Autistic children were mentioned in the video as benefiting from the weight. Its on you tube. Im on my mobile and cant get the link to work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqiyDlJmus

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rob did a tutorial on this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After you watch Rob's tutorial, here's another link for the poly-pellets and a weight chart to help you figure out how much you'll need

http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.co...sFUaAl2A8P8HAQ

I think it's wonderful that you are considering to make this for their child.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

There has to be a more efficient way of filling the quilt.

First, I would allow an extra two inches of backing at BOTH ends of the quilt. Only sew down the sides of the quilt. Turn it and set it aside.

Use a see-thru material like tulle. Seeing the pellets while sewing gives more control. If your quilt is made with 5" charms, cut the tulle 5" wide and the length of the quilt plus an extra 2 or 3 inches. Sew down the sides and the bottom with about 1/2" seams. Add pellets for one section at a time. Sew approximately every 5" across the tulle to contain the pellets. Sew the end closed. Now you have a tube of pellets that are spaced somewhat evenly from one end of the tube to the other.

Slip the tube inside the first channel of the quilt. Use your favorite basting method to hold the tubes in place at the top and bottom of the quilt. Fold over to the front of the quilt the extra 2" of backing and sew in place. This will hold the tubes in place at the top and bottom of the quilt so they don't shift.

I really don't think it would take anymore time to do this. The additional cost for tulle is minimal especially with a coupon at Joann Fabrics. There's a fair amount of fiddly going on Rob's way. Breaking needles is jolting and no fun. To me, the extra steps would be worth it to make for a smoother application.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 13th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

7. Thanks grammaterry, shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    It just seems so fiddly. I wonder if it would be easier to take some sandwich bags that seal (not the zipper kind) and fill each plastic bag with the pellets to contain them. That way the little plastic bags could be dropped into each section, keeping them contained and in place before stitching each section closed. The other benefit is each bag could be weighed with a kitchen scale to make sure they have the right percentage of pellets in them. Breaking needles is no fun. I think this would definitely avoid the problem of having rogue pellets to contend with.
    I agree. If you don't want the plastic in the quilt use muslin or something like that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star sells the pellets for this
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can also make little pillow pockets out of muslin and then fill each with pellets and whipstitch the opening closed as you go you drop them down the rows sew across then drop the next set of filled pockets down. It keep those little things under control and out of your foot when sewing. For in the car or at school you can make weighted vest or a minky strip blanket with heavy batting in the middle those three layers are quite heavy and produce a nice weight.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.