Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 10/12/16 - Quilting is my retirement plan!

I can't even think about retirement... I don't know that it will ever happen...

This past weekend I finally had a chance to sit and sew these cute shirts though....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shirts.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	136249

working full time and having kids takes a lot out of me... we have a house guest coming this weekend, grades are due, parent teacher conferences are coming and my mom is going to come visit soon.... I'm not sure if I'll ever get to sew again

2. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm no sewing since Monday when I started a second baby quilt when the first ones colorway just did not strike a cord. Trying to get the baby shower stuff done and made to black wreaths yesterday out of two Christmas wreaths took three cans of spray paint lol. need to make the table runners plan the fondant cake and table pieces. Nothing like a nightmare before Christmas theme to make my brain break lol
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

4. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I was fired 4 years ago by a boss who wanted me to do some illegal money transfers and i refused so he fired me. I was devastated and embarrassed as I had never had an employer who wasn't happy with my work. My husband encouraged me to draw my social security at 62, which I did and I have never been sorry. While I was working, I bought several block of the month programs that I saved for later plus I discovered MSQC and precuts which I love. I have been able to add to my quilting stash by buying a jelly roll or layer cake and then a month or so later buy the coordinating border fabrics. I already had tons of apparel fabric as I have always made most of my clothes. Now, I am so grateful I have the apparel fabric as fabric stores who sell apparel fabric are not readily available where I live. I sew several hours every day. I have been on a tangent of making knit tops lately but have 2 Christmas quilts that I want to fmq before the holidays. I plan on making purses for Christmas presents as well as some potholders to put with a few kitchen items. I also plan to make eye glass cases from coordinating fleece and cute cotton fabrics. I have always loved being at home, cooking meals for my family, keeping things neat and tidy and making a cozy home. So, even though we are on a limited budget, I am living my dream.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman, RockinLou, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

janebee.... you are living my dream too! Only I would be on a ranch in Montana, not in Texas ;-)

(in all fairness, I've never been to Texas, I just fell in love with MT when I was 20)

8. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

This week I finished a 60"x60" quilt for a woman fighting breast cancer. It is the largest quilt I have quilted on my sewing machine. I have discovered that even though it claims to be a quilting machine it's throat is much too small to work on large quilts. Still She really loves it So even with all the mistakes it was worth it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1476638539328.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	136359

10. Thanks RockinLou, pcbatiks, lourixe, Claire Hallman, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Your quilt is awesome! Very often, machines that include a blanket stitch are called quilting machines. I feel for you as I also struggle to FMQ large quilts with only 6" harp.

12. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
    janebee.... you are living my dream too! Only I would be on a ranch in Montana, not in Texas ;-)

(in all fairness, I've never been to Texas, I just fell in love with MT when I was 20)
    I live in a sea of white. Cotton that is. We live in a rural community which I love. Lots of farmers and ranchers around here. We live right on the caprock. I love the beautiful canyons. We haven't been here very long and I don't know very many people except folks I have met at church. My husband knows everybody because of his job. I love quiet country living and I absolutely am amazed that I get to sew as much as I want to. It is a gift that I thank God for every single day. I love the climate here on the south plains where it is cool every morning and every evening no matter if it gets in the upper 90's during the day. We have a good bit of snow which I love. Hubby not so much. I get to see my grand kids all the time and most days our daughter comes for lunch. She is a school counselor and only works a couple of blocks away. I just shopped my apparel fabric stash which is huge and came out with several pieces of fabric that I measured and they will be perfect for winter. I don't even remember when or where I bought them. I have always bought fabric on sale or with coupons so I know some of those fabrics cost me less than $10. I am so glad I did that!!! I have friends that are retired and are always complaining that they are bored. Not me.

14. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 years and 6 months before retirement and quilting more is the plan!
    I am getting projects ready as I leave on Friday for a quilt retreat with my girlfriends. I am trying to get some Christmas gifts made for the family.
    I am working on placemats for my DIL now.
    April

16. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Love the little dress and cardigan so sweet.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on quilting/ sewing in my retirement hopefully in the next four years. I made aprons for my sisters and Mom last Christmas and this year working on totes For them. One down, four more to go. If I have time would like to make zippered pouches for my nieces (6). Plus need to quilt a christmas laapquilt to hang in my office. Can't wait to retire to have more sewing time!