Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Edith is going in a box

Attachment 136198 Attachment 136199[/QUOTE]

When you posted your original question, I was one who voted for a light color sashing because you mentioned you were using the Edith fabric line and not just the fabric posted in your sample block picture. I still hold to my original opinion that a light colored sashing would highlight your block pattern. I feel without a sashing your block design is lost. I would use the light colored fabric that jumps out in the quilt as the sashing. Also, adding cornerstones using your favorite color print from the fabric would pull it all together. I hope you do not take offense in my suggestions to your question. I really like your block! BTW, you could always use the dark purple for the backing.

By no means put this project aside.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Hulamoon- the green is what caught my eye and I think if you did some sashing- making it smaller and green would work. Do what Jenny did on the tutorial about binding- put the fabric color near the quilt to see what shade works. If nothing- then keep it like it is.

Just my thoughts.... :-)
    That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.... Keep Moving Forward !!...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What about using the purple for a partial sashing as I've done in this quilt? Not quite so overwhelming that way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PurplePinwheelQuilt2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	136213
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PurplePinwheelQuilt.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	136212  
    ***Kathy***

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cynthia Brunz of Quiltingismorefunthanhousework hosts an orphan adoption event where you can give away your orphan blocks or any other items that you may no longer love.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like it without a border. I would just use the background fabric for binding (or something similar). I also like the suggestion to use your background fabric for sashing. Then you could tie all the blocks together with cornerstones from each fabric in the blocks. There are four blocks, in particular, with fairly bright whites that should be removed. They take too much focus away from the muted colors in the majority of the quilt. I would take apart four blocks, in particular, and make some new units to replace those whites. This has always been a favorite block of mine. Don't give up on it. I also like what kigi did with here quilt.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 12th, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

You know what...your points look fantastic! I think the sashing detracts from the beautiful softness of your quilt. Sew them up block to block and be done. Its lovely!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would look great using the background fabric as sashing, thus separating, and defining the blocks. You could then use any of the colors in the blocks as corner stones.
    BTW...love the OCD showing through by alphabetizing your spices....it is however a great idea.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bubba - if you want sashing, use the background color and use accent cornerstones. Might be cool to set the cornerstones on point.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Many times when I see a fabric line online and I'm not 100% sure I'm seeing the correct colors on my screen, I'll buy one charm pack then make my decision whether or not I want to go forward with a project and buy the line. That is exactly what I had done with this fabric line so when your original question posted, I became very interested in what responses you would receive about your selection of border color and I've been anxious to see your quilt project.

Your current question has been become an obsession for me today!!! So I did a quick EQ design using your block selection and used a few of your fabric line color combinations then added sashing and cornerstones. I used your background color (I think you had used a light brown), a neutral from the fabric line, and solid white for the sashing. Perhaps the EQ pic will help make your decision on your project. As we say, this is "your quilt" and should reflect what makes you happy.

BTW - when I went onto the Windham website to download the fabric sample jpegs for EQ, I found two free quilt patterns using the Edith line and discovered Mary Koval used a neutral as the background color on each one. http://www.windhamfabrics.net/php/fa...c&Category=756
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dutchmans puzzle sample.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	136229  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the sashing !!!

Then if you want a pop of color, appliqué something on top for interest, like Rob Appell's 'Gears'. Quilt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	136238
    Or you could even appliqué large doilies as it looks vintage to me!!

Love it!!!!
    Last edited by bhaggerty; October 12th, 2016 at 11:38 PM.
    Happy Quilting!