Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Question Informal poll/query about creativity

Something I love is to see what other people do, how they think, how they process anything in the creative realm, from painting to writing to quilting, etc. All the things. A bit of discussion on Rob Appell's quilting got me wondering about it more intensely. This isn't about his quilting, but he's a good illustration because his style is so free form and he collaborates with M* which probably has a fairly traditional customer base. Like his style or not, it's full of creative sparks to inspire.

Cooking is creative. My grandmother was too ill to teach me, but I know a lot about how she cooked. She would have a recipe, but never follow it. She always had to make it her own. She was a rule breaker at heart, haha! I'm much the same as her in how I approach anything creative, I just can't leave well enough alone. Paint by numbers is not in my DNA. I may make the elements of a quilt from a pattern, but from my color choice to the borders and everything inbetween, all bets are off. I love the beginning segment of Eleanor Burns' show where she shows the same quilt in so many iterations by different people and sometimes different eras. It's fascinating to see how different everyone can make the same thing!

So how are all of you when it comes to quilting? Love kits and having it turn out like the picture? Fly by the seat of your pants and hope the Civil War era quilt will turn out great with modern and low volume prints? I could go on, but you get the idea. Sometimes I think most people here are semi traditional, then I realize I'm completely wrong and there is a very interesting mix of styles here. Do you find your style changing as you see new quilt patterns, techniques, and fabrics?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Informal poll/query about creativity

I'm like you. I make something my own, always changing something up. I'm a rule breaker and I color outside the lines. I too love it when Eleanor shows the same pattern done in different ways. The designing and making it my own are what I find most enjoyable. I have never bought a kit, and doubt I ever will, but if I did, most likely I would do something different. That's just who I am ;-).

I also love to mix fabrics. The "anything goes" style is what has made me such a Bonnie Hunter fan.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I ALWAYS tweek EVERYTHING! I start with a pattern or some fabric or an idea or a picture....and take off from there. I NEVER expect it to look like the original! I would NEVER want to make a quilt with the exact fabric and pattern as anyone else, let alone like a lot of people in a class or copying Jenny or anyone else. I start with one thing and watch as it expands or changes or morphs into what it was meant to be! I LOVE watching the miracle appear. It never fails to surprise or please me!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have fun reverse-engineering a pattern from a photograph, and then doing it in my own colors. Or sometimes I'll tweak a design slightly just to see how it comes out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love seeing a pattern done in different colorways. My sister, my friend and I do this a lot and it's so cool to see. Fabric really changes the pattern. I don't think I've ever made a quilt (or wanted to) exactly like a pictured quilt. I always change the fabric.

I usually make a quilt using the directions without too many changes. I will make my HSTs or Flying Geese in a different way, but the block will look the same. So to me that isn't changing the pattern. It's not creative either, it's more construction efficiency.

And sometimes, I'll make the quilt (or quilt block) in a different size. Mostly I do it because I have a precut I want to use, or I need the quilt to be a different size. But that's not creative to me, it's just resizing.

I'm not creative enough to create a quilt out of my brain. I've seen some of other forum members who have made some great unique quilts and it jut amazes me. I'm thinking of the Iron Quilter Challenge especially.

I do enjoy looking at a quilt and breaking it down into blocks and reverse engineering it to a pattern and cutting directions. That's really fun.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always made traditional quilts, nothing from a kit but would follow the pattern to the letter, no deviation. About six months ago I made an Ohio Star, it turned out fine but it was sui boring to make block after block, 30 of them pretty much the same. Next I decided to (for me) do something wild and make a totally random scrap quilt. It was SO FUN it has me thinking I will never again make a traditional quilt! You can still incorporate traditional blocks in a scrap quilt, like a small log cabin or some pin wheels or rows of HST, or just whatever you want. I have been buying charm packs for a few years and wanted to use some up. I wish I had ventured outside the box years ago, now I never want to go back.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like to think that I'm a special butterfly, and mostly a modern quilter. TBH, I'm probably more traditional than I think. Sure, I'll choose my own colors for given pattern or tute, and I'll always try to find a less expensive but still good quality option.

I've purchased a kit for a consignment, and was thrilled to have gotten it on clearance and to have limited the customer's ability to change her mind a hundred times. I also got a second, totally different quilt out of the included prints, and still have a bunch left!

I suppose this makes me a frugal quilter more than anything else. I most enjoy being creative within a budget, and feel more limited when forced to pay full price for fabrics. Fear of a bad result is greater when it cost more, I guess. When I pay less (or nothing) for fabric, I am empowered to go nuts with design.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love adding my own touches whether its color changes or a design change or addition. Sometimes it is fun to surf the web find a picture and then design the quilt your way with no pattern. I never use a kit or do the same colors as the directions. Funny thing is when I was teaching sewing/quilting 2 of my regulars ALWAYS wanted the same fabric as I did the sample in. I started pulling more from my stash for samples so they could never get the same fabrics. More fun to watch the item unfold with their own choices.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a Farmers Wife quilt as a hand sewing project. Rather than traditional or 30s fabric I've decided to go modern. My blocks look quite different than the ones in the book but I'm having fun with it. Time will tell if I like the finished project. It's a bit outside my comfort zone.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of myself as particularly creative - when I made clothes I stuck to the pattern religiously, didn't trust myself to deviate from it. When I started quilting I somehow went outside of the box - think it was because I didn't know much of anything about "official" blocks - I tended to make up my own versions, mainly because I truly didn't understand the methods. It doesn't help that I tend to think when I "learn" something I should be able to be able to perform above my ability: think of learning the quitar expecting to be able to play like Bruce Springsteen! My daughter always deviated from patterns (both for clothing and quilting) and I admired that. When I made an outer space quilt for GS I basically looked at a picture of one made from a panel, bought the panels and made it up as I went along (I really should have used graph paper to draft it, etc - Too much work!) Then I made a Lego quilt for other GS from a pattern he picked out and it was SO boring! I again added to it just to make it my own doing. So my daughter said, "See, you are more creative than you think!" Don't think I'm creative, just impatient.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post