Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Informal poll/query about creativity

My creativity swings between scrappy and modern lately. I think this is because I've been making quilts for so long I've tried most of the traditional patterns I like (many several times). The Log Cabin is my all-time favorite and it can swing in every direction, even wonky. I also tweak everything I make and I'm not afraid of color, though I've been in a gray/black swing lately.

Whatever you do, just have fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Change colors, change sizes, even try to cut a single design quilt for QAYG using sashing. I won't sew by hand.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have never made a quilt from a kit. I do use commercial patterns, but then choose my colours that I think will work best with the pattern. I am interesting in dabbling in designing, more on the modern quilt side.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I must be the odd ball in that if something (pattern, fabric, style, etc.) strikes me just the right way, I want my outcome to be the same and sometimes exactly (to the T) the same. I'm not always this way, but more times than not. As far as style, it varies. I don't think I have just one style. I thought I did at one time (calm fabrics, established color themes within the quilt, etc) but lately I have ventured into I chartered waters (like solids and bold prints) and I'm likely the outcome. One area that I generally never follow is block construction. I rarely make a HST without my Tucker trimmer or a flying geese without my Wing Clipper. This means kits are harder for me to work with because I generally need more fabric than the kit includes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to not deviate from a pattern as I don't trust my own creativity. I also (most of the time) play by the rules. I think that is just my personality - I'm very competitive so if you don't play by the rules - how can we compete (just my way of thinking and my makeup). Honestly though, I sometimes do venture to wild side and have enjoyed the process. Good discussion.
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You compete with rules, but how can you win if you don't break some of the rules

Quote Originally Posted by klgls View Post
    I tend to not deviate from a pattern as I don't trust my own creativity. I also (most of the time) play by the rules. I think that is just my personality - I'm very competitive so if you don't play by the rules - how can we compete (just my way of thinking and my makeup). Honestly though, I sometimes do venture to wild side and have enjoyed the process. Good discussion.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I need a jumping off point. If I was brilliant at creating original designs I would not hesitate to call myself creative. I would also be selling patterns. hahaha

Fabric is expensive and time is precious. I don't do much experimenting because of that fact. I usually follow patterns, but I never make a quilt with the same fabrics used by the pattern designer. To me, that would definitely be boring since I already know what to expect when the quilt is completed.

I also have enough experience that I can replicate, without a pattern, certain quilts I see online, in books, in ads, etc. Sometimes I combine quilts I see. I definitely have no problem changing a pattern to suit me. For example, I just made a new wall hanging for my family room. The pattern called for a pieced border. I really liked her choice, but I was afraid I'd end up with a wavy border. I abandoned the designer's choice and put two standard borders on my quilt. I'm happy with it and I probably saved myself some hassle.

I really do wonder how many people in our world can truly say they are "creative." Merriam-Webster defines creative as follows:

1: having or showing an ability to make new things or think of new ideas
    2: using the ability to make or think of new things : involving the process by which new ideas, stories, etc., are created
    3: done in an unusual and often dishonest way

Does number one mean we quilters are creative or just creators? We have the ability to make new things so I think we classify as creative. What do you think?
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 11th, 2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    I love seeing a pattern done in different colorways. My sister, my friend and I do this a lot and it's so cool to see. Fabric really changes the pattern. I don't think I've ever made a quilt (or wanted to) exactly like a pictured quilt. I always change the fabric.

I usually make a quilt using the directions without too many changes. I will make my HSTs or Flying Geese in a different way, but the block will look the same. So to me that isn't changing the pattern. It's not creative either, it's more construction efficiency.

And sometimes, I'll make the quilt (or quilt block) in a different size. Mostly I do it because I have a precut I want to use, or I need the quilt to be a different size. But that's not creative to me, it's just resizing.

I'm not creative enough to create a quilt out of my brain. I've seen some of other forum members who have made some great unique quilts and it jut amazes me. I'm thinking of the Iron Quilter Challenge especially.

I do enjoy looking at a quilt and breaking it down into blocks and reverse engineering it to a pattern and cutting directions. That's really fun.
    See, I think that's a whole lot more creativity than you think. Every specific thing you do adds a personal touch, takes away any static copying. It does make it uniquely your own creation and give it a flow nobody else could give it.

I think partly I was reliving a conversation with a friend. One who has a creative nature but is so afraid to go with the flow of it, and nothing is "right" if it didn't turn out the way it's "supposed" to. Sometimes we just haven't had that moment yet, that "aha" moment. It's a journey. I think I'm a little stuck with that in some of my knitting - of course there a creative mistake could just unravel right down to the cast on row, lol!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you do to a quilt top, each is its own journey, and turns out the way it was meant to. Don't fight it. Go with the flow.

10. Thanks kgirlmom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in awe of some of the originals I see on this forum.
    I see a gob of patterns on the internet, and have never quite figured out how they make money. Usually I can look at it and know how to "build" the block. The amounts of fabric listed in those patterns are worthless because there are always cutting errors where the ruler slips or you accidentally put it on the wrong line. And with the stash sizes I have heard about, if you buy just enough fabric, by the time you get to it, it is discontinued, so you have to sacrifice something on/in your quilt.
    Pinterest has spoiled a bit of my creativity and I want to copy so much what is out there in my own fabrics. If any of you have designed your own quilt as you sewed, there is math. I tend to avoid math with triangles, so if I keep all my strips one size the math goes away.
    If I could travel back in time, think of all those creative juices, when life was slower, and everything was cut out using scissors or a cardboard template. And there were not a lot of pictures to look at and a few books.
    I think this is why quilting is so popular right now, because everything is so streamlined and layed out for the individual to craft it without really having to put the creative juices into it.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/