Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving isn't for sissies

My DH and I have moved many times in 38 years of marriage. Usually he goes to the new state first, (California, Arkansas, Kansas, Arizona, and Washington) and I come later. The packers come one day, pack us up, the moving van comes the next day and my stuff is gone.

This time it's like Chinese water torture....We've been moving for a month, some stuff into a 5 x 10 storage unit, multi trips to the Salvation Army, and now everything in the house into the garage so next Saturday it will all be ready for the UHaul truck we've rented. Thankfully our church friends will help us next Saturday! I

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can truthfully say, letting go of the stuff has been freeing!

(I still have my fabric stash!) :-)
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

2. Thanks Claire Hallman, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moving isn't for sissies

As long as you have the fabric stash all is good. I hate moving no matter how easy I try to make it. I need to move next October and I am already stressing. So, I am sending you lots of hugs.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My stuff is starting to become overwhelming. Not my sewing stuff. Just other stuff. Too many clothes I don't wear, too much kitchen stuff, too much stuff. But I don't have the energy or the urgency to get motivated t pack it up. I've lived on this farm for 36 years and it seems we just put stuff in an outbuilding when the house starts to bulge. I don't think we could move even if we needed to...just too much stuff. The other night, I couldn't sleep thinking about how dirty my bedroom is and how I needed to start by cleaning out the closet. I just don't have the energy to empty the closet and start the project. I'm tired.

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you, moving is so stressful. We moved every 2-3 years the first 20 years of our marriage .The good thing was when we moved, I purged the junk. We have been living in this house for over 20 years and the junk and clutter grew so quickly. Last year we gave away things, donated things and had a yard sale . I love how much easier it is to keep the house clean and it just looks better.

7. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    My stuff is starting to become overwhelming. Not my sewing stuff. Just other stuff. Too many clothes I don't wear, too much kitchen stuff, too much stuff. But I don't have the energy or the urgency to get motivated t pack it up. I've lived on this farm for 36 years and it seems we just put stuff in an outbuilding when the house starts to bulge. I don't think we could move even if we needed to...just too much stuff. The other night, I couldn't sleep thinking about how dirty my bedroom is and how I needed to start by cleaning out the closet. I just don't have the energy to empty the closet and start the project. I'm tired.
    I hear you, sister. Our overflow area is the basement. We're supposed to ge clearing it out for a downsizing move in a few years but have made very little progress.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, moving is definitely not for sissys. We moved in May after living in our house for 28 years. Knowing it was coming, we started packing a few months ahead of time - still not easy. Where does all this stuff come from?

10. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it all goes smoothly for you next Saturday.

We moved here in 1983, my next move will probably be the seniors home.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

12. Thanks cashs mom, ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I find moving to be physically, mentally and emotionally stressful. Saturday I found one of our tenants on her patio sobbing over their upcoming move. They bought a little house about 30 miles east and they had already moved things from their shed to the new place. Someone came in and stole everything and then filled their mailbox with grass and mud. This is spoiling the experience of buying their first home. Moving certainly isn't for sissies.

Jeff and I have different moving styles. He likes to do it little by little. I want everything packed and moved so I don't have to keep making trips to the old place.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck with your latest move, hope all goes smoothly. I can't even think about moving without having a panic attack. We've been here since 1960, that's 56 years! I've been clearing out and giving away stuff for years but there just is too much to go through. We started with 4 rooms, an unfinished attic and an attached garage. Now we have 8 rooms and a garage that hasn't had a car in it for at least 25 years as it serves as a laundry room, storage area and DH's workshop. We make frequent trips to our church's thrift shop and Good Will. Thought we could pass down some furniture to DGDs when they married and bought homes but they had plenty of stuff given them by their parents who have begun downsizing their homes.

Getting colder and need to get warmer clothes out so I told myself out goes summer clothes I don't wear as well as seasonal tablecloths, decorations, dishes, etc. Wish me luck.

What a sad story Barb, such a bad thing to turn off their excitement of their first home.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; October 10th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.

15. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you still have your stash and your machine, everything else can go!

17. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post