Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moving isn't for sissies

You know, I think it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that has been "hoarding" away stuff for years because someone might need it someday. At first, the children took it when they set up housekeeping, but now they have more stuff than they need and their stuff is probably better than my stuff for when their children leave home.
    The other day, I set up a sewing machine in my GD's room and gave here a box of material to practice with. I told her to keep her little scraps in a bag and they would mke a good quilt someday. She told her dad (the minimalist) what I had said about saving them and he said , "Mom, you know that won't work at our house". Poor darling GD. Her room gets cleaned out quarterly of dolls she hasn't played with, books she isn't reading, etc. How will she ever be a quilter? lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, Grammaterry. We've been in our house 38 yrs. I have so much "stuff" that needs to be sorted. I'm not a hoarder, but I like to think I might use something "someday". I know I need to sort out clothes I haven't worn in a coon's age & donate them to charity. But it's getting the motivation to just do it! I did donate a bunch of stuff to ARC last year--tee shirts & pants I never wear. I have some more dress-up dresses that I never wear anymore. Folks are dressing more casually at church these days. We even have some folks to who wear shorts to church in the summer time. Our pastor doesn't wear a suit except for weddings/funerals or special occasions. He wears slacks & a shirt. So much different than when I was growing up when everyone wore their Sunday best, men wore suits, women always wore dresses, etc. I guess it's our changing culture. I already know our kids don't want most of our stuff. They have their own likes. However, my one gr. dau. has expressed an interest in my genealogy info. I have some antique dishes that were handed down to me from my mom. Some of them are at least 100 yrs. old. I'd like to keep them in the family. It seems much of the sentimentalism is absent from today's generation.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I wake up worrying about this. The day is going to come when Joe says it's time to move. We've started purging but I feel like it hasn't made a dent.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about moving next year, and am already stressing over it. Don't even know where I want to move, probably in same general area, just a newer place so I don't have to worry about home maintenance. Each time I think about moving, I pull out more fabric and sew a quilt for someone. I know it's just a distraction, but eventually I need to do it. At least I see my emotions are shared by others and I am not alone.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    As long as you still have your stash and your machine, everything else can go!
    You got that right!
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Ten years ago we had to clean out my parent's house. I told myself I didn't want my children to do that for us. It's just one day at time. Clean out one small space at a time.

I ask myself the questions..."Do I use it, do I need it, will I miss it?" And the last question is..."When was the last time I used it?" My dad's quote was "How do you eat an elephant?" One bit at a time!
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ucarrieme View Post
    Ten years ago we had to clean out my parent's house. I told myself I didn't want my children to do that for us. It's just one day at time. Clean out one small space at a time.

I ask myself the questions..."Do I use it, do I need it, will I miss it?" And the last question is..."When was the last time I used it?" My dad's quote was "How do you eat an elephant?" One bit at a time!
    My sister uses this routine... 2 hours a day she works at,purging something closet, drawers, packed boxes etc. She has gotten rid of a lot.

8. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We recently moved from a house we had lived in for 16 years. We got rid of a lot and now I wonder from time to time if I got rid of something or where in the world did I put it. It has been quite a process but all for the good.

10. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you in this!

We have just moved two months ago to an appartment in town (rental) in the same building than my in-laws, so we can help watching senile MIL but still keep some privacy (prior to that we would spend long periods living with them, and it wasn't easy at all. That's why I took up quilting to help keep my sanity).

We have the advantage that we still keep the other house in the country: we don't have a deadline to have it emptied like if we had sold it. We brought a minimun: some pieces of furniture, clothes... I bet most of the bulk was my kitchenware. I don't have much of a stash nor many clothes, but I can't help buying any kitchen gadget I see. Good thing that I have plenty of storage in this kitchen now! Wondering how long it will take me to have it filled with junk!

Now I still haven't set up my guest room/sewing room yet. I hope to be able to work at that in the following weeks.

12. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I swore when I moved in this house that I would die here because I didnt' want to ever move again

Now we are thinking of moving to a smaller home with more land around it. I'm already dreading it. I've always done the moves mostly by myself. My husband got off by pleading busy at work. Not gonna happen this time! I'm too old and too tired to do all that work myself.

I feel for you with the stress of moving. Hugs.

14. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post