Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default round two starts in the morning.....

They say each round of chemo gets worse. We start round two in the morning. We saw the urologist this morning....he is the nicest man ever! We got there early, like always, and I had taken something with me I had to rip the topstitching out of. I remember my butt hitting the chair and getting out my seam ripper and that is as far as it got!!! We got called back almost immediately because the patient ahead of us called and cancelled ten minutes before they were supposed to be there!!

The doctor came in, shook MM's man head, saw me and asked me, before he asked the patient how I was doing! I bet he does not make that mistake again!! He then moved his attention to MM. After he was done with him, I was picking up the things I had brought and he noticed the project I had brought to work on and was quite amazed I had made it! He sat and listened about the retreat and Missouri Star, took notes and said he was going to google it when he got home!! He was sitting on his rolling stool so close our knees were touching and he was holding my hand as he leaned forward looking into my eyes. He cares as much about me as he does about his patient. I told him that he was going to make me cry. He said when they taught the part about not caring about the patients family (he even asked about our girls!!) he slept thru it and missed the entire thing! When it was time to go, he raised my hand to his lips and kissed it! Were he about 20 years younger, he might be giving MM a run for his $$!!!! hahahahahaha!!!!

Tomorrow, we see the chemo nurse, who we talked to at the first session. In this meeting, like todays, I plan on speaking with her about this sickness issue I have been having. Since returning from the retreat, it has been much worse. Last night, I had to move out of bed and sleep on one of our couches because of the smell he gave off while he was sleeping. It isn't bad, but it does not agree with me. I know it sounds terrible, but I have to find out if there is something that can be done to make it stop. He isn't even sick....just tired! Me, I'm sick, I'm tired....just blah. You should be glad I was fine the week I was away from him. Perhaps I should move to Missouri until February...think they have any temporary jobs available????
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: round two starts in the morning.....

Pat it sounds like you and MM got a winner for a Dr.I'm sure he was focused on you as well as MM because a family member does not get cancer alone the whole family suffers through it .I think sometimes we do worse because we can't really feel what our loved one is going through.I wish you both the best through this next round of chemo,you will be in my prayers.
    Joan

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aw Pat. Well let's call him Dr. Dreamy. Have you spoken with Dr. Dreamy about your 'sickness'? Sounds to me like he will listen to you and may offer some solutions for you. I hope it gets better for you.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the story of Dr. Dreamy! He must have focused in on how you appeared and addressed that! How wonderful is that? Glad you have such caring and patient doctors to work with. You are MM's advocate ( even though he thinks he can go it alone). So the doctors are treating both the patient and caregiver. I know I had to speak up to doctors for my husband when two of his doctors gave conflicting directions ( he was treated in 3 different hospitals for various things during his 2 years of treatment). When I lost it one day when the one doctor told us to do opposite of what his main doctor had directed, that guy said "I will call him right now!" They ironed it out on the phone so I didn't have to try to sort it out on my own. So you may be in that situation yourself as your husband's treatment progresses.

I'm really glad you got to come to Hamilton for the retreat. It gave you a break from the pressure of thinking constantly about MM's illness, and a great insight as to how his chemo is affecting you. I know I slept in a separate room from my husband when he was taking one of his chemo drugs, it was radioactive iodine! I would have lit up a Geiger counter from his meds!

Thinking of you as you both go through this. Stay strong!

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers going your way - for both. Just remember it's OK to scream when you want to - if you don't release your stress somehow, you will be in the hospital. One day at a time!! Many prayers.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That's lovely how this doc is caring about you and your family.

When we first met with DH's orthopedic surgeon, he basically told me to shut up because I was speaking for my husband. David is not a great historian of the messed up shoulder he had for more than half of his life, and I was just trying to help convey the information.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

(Linda, that's when you tell the doctor to shut up!)

Pat - I have space if you want to come back for a bit. I know you can find work, too! Now about that Dr. Dreamy . . . ahummmm.
    (and no, the hat is not finished).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

11. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pat......sending lots of hugs and encouragement to you and MM.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an amazing doctor...sadly they are few and far between in my neck of the woods...I got lucky and sounds like you did too! It is so important to remember that the entire family is affected by cancer, not just the patient. Boy oh boy would I be jumping on Sandy's invitation! LOL!

Hoping things stay calm for you both! xox

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You aren't the only one to react to your husbands smell. When my husband drank whiskey I would wake up with the hangover. He willingly switched drinks and now I don't have a problem but it's the pits to have the hangover when you don't even drink! I know your husband can't change his medicine but maybe he won't have to take that particular one for the whole time. Hope things get better.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE