Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default CS needs to be on the same page.

First off, I love M* and feel bad for posting this, but...

This past Friday I purchased $66.60 worth of fabric on the free shipping over $50 daily deal day. You were also supposed to receive a free charm pack when you spent over $60. I put in three different gift certificates and was mainly focusing on that at check-out. I noticed the free shipping applied, but I didn't realize the charm pack was missing until after I submitted my order. I didn't want to cancel my order for fear of the gift cards not working right if I did, so I promptly shot off an email (I just realized I never received a reply to that...) immediately after realizing that the charm packs weren't on the order.

I then called on Saturday to make sure it was resolved prior to shipping. The CS gal I spoke with told me that the charm packs had sold out (thus not listed on my order), but that the warehouse had already informed them that they were going to send a substitute. I asked her to take my order number and somehow notate that it needed a free charm pack. She told me she didn't need it, and that the shipping department would automatically put one in my box because they'd know I earned one. I asked her what would happen if I didn't receive the charm pack, and she said to just call back.

So, I received my order today and there was not a free charm pack in the box . I called CS right away. I was told, "We ran out of the charm packs, ma'am", indicating that I would not be getting one. I told her that I had been told by CS on Saturday that they would be honoring the charm packs with a substitute. She put me on hold, checked with her manager, and then told me they'd be getting sent out at some point in time. She said there should've been a notation on my order number that would flag the free charm pack, but there was not one. She ended up flagging it for me. I really think that if I hadn't of mentioned my call on Saturday and being promised a substitute that that would've been the end of the call, and no charm pack for me.

So.... a few suggestions. 1) If a customer wants to give CS their order number to check on things, they should take it. I asked the gal if she'd take my order number once, and then asked her if she wasn't sure she needed my order number another time. I'm not sure why she was so insistent on not taking it, but it left me frustrated.

2) make sure all reps know when substitutions are being offered so as not to upset the customer for not getting what was promised. The daily deal stated that you'd get Bee's and Bloom's charm pack. I understand that you run out of things, but my understanding was I'd be getting a free charm pack if I spent over $60. If there had been verbiage on the website stating that once you ran out there'd be no free B & B charm pack (or otherwise), I would've had the choice to continue my purchase, or not.

3) I was really trying to save you money by not having to ship it out separately. Perhaps in the future you can either have a back-up charm pack already planned out to avoid the extra shipping fees on your end, or offer a credit if the charm pack runs out.

4) over communicate! I think an e-mail letting people know that your free gift had run out, but a substitute would be coming there way, would be a great addition. Perhaps you could also add that info at checkout.

ps ~ both of the gals I spoke to sounded tired and unhappy. Get those girls some coffee and chocolate! I know how busy you all are in the call center, shipping, and the stores and I just want you to know that I appreciate all that you do to make M*QC such a great destination quilting place, and a great source for online fabric. The wait time on the phone both times I called were very short, which is always a bonus!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CS needs to be on the same page.

It must be really hard to be CS when things are so very busy and growing pains must be almost intolerable. Just be patient. We have a really great company to buy from that offers us some incredible deals at times. Sounds like they are making it right for you.

3. Thanks Kimber4444 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You have made some great suggestions! Hopefully you will get everything ironed out on your order!

5. Thanks Blue Pig Giggles, Kimber4444 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your suggestions are excellent Kimber and well stated. I know they do their best but there is always room for improvement - especially when experiencing growing pains. Hope you get your charm pack soon.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

7. Thanks Kimber4444 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain! I ordered during their stars promotion and thought that was the reason it took three weeks to receive my order. Ordered on August 23 and didn't receive until September 11th. Unfortunately they sent me the wrong fabric. I contacted them and they told me to keep the fabric and reordered the correct fabric. They also gave me quilters points which I thought was nice. Keep in mind this was on September 11th. I just received my order yesterday, October 5th. They didn't ship it out until October 3rd. During this time I was in contact with customer service almost daily and kept getting lip service about how their shipping department was sooo busy and that she would pray it got out. I wasn't nasty in my emails but was showing my frustration with their company. I'm a religious person but God helps those who help themselves! What happened to them. I've been ordering for years and been very happy with their turn around time. Obviously there is a problem. A big one that they need to correct soon. I've loved their daily deals and their fabrics but sadly, after the hell I went through with their customer service, I will no longer be ordering from them again. Hope they figure out their problems soon and go back to the way they used to be.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is great feedback. I'll make sure we train better on that.

Honestly, the issue we're battling right now is our inventory. When I built the system, I built it thinking we'd never grow to the size we have. But all our inventory was just in one pot, now with the 14 stores and adding the second warehouse, it's becoming a huge issue. Imagine ordering 5 yards of fabric, we look in the warehouse, it's not there, must be in the stores, we send it up to the stores, it's not there, maybe it was in a customers hands or in a van getting transported back and forth, we'll look again, and so on, times thousands of orders. The days add up and there's a lot to do.

Thankfully we are building interim systems (this may include buying more inventory (a hard thing to do because it ties up your cash you normally use to run a business in inventory), making our overnight crew bigger since our daytime crew is normally busy with running the shops now, different than the old days when no one would come visit)), as well as spending more money than we've ever spent on a great big sophisticated inventory system that we are several months into implementing. The new warehouse will give us 100k more sq ft to organize fabric and cutting in, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is the same thing I seem to always be saying - "I promise it's getting better". I know that doesn't fix these issues, but even customer service is getting some special love and attention right now as we setup more training and try and build in accountability so we can help our customer service people get better.

In the meantime, if you're not getting a good response from customer service, feel free to email me - alan@missouriquiltco.com and I'll nudge stuff along. But we are building, hiring (we are 350 employees now, and hiring a few managers and directors to help get that up a bit more to handle all this better - can I just tell you how hard it is to run a company with 350 employees? It's unlike anything I've ever done, and I'm learning more every day!) Please don't give up on us for good, give us shots as we get better, please??!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's amazing growth! It's a good problem to have, but you have to work through the growing pains, making adjustments as you go, etc. I'm sure most M* customers are patient & will understand the situation. I loved the brochure that came with my last order; it shows all the various stores, etc. now in Hamilton. You've all come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. So many positive changes just since I joined the Forum. Keep up the good work! You all are the best! We love Jenny, the tutorials, and everything about M*.

11. Thanks Kimber4444, ucarrieme thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Kimber4444 - some good suggestions and very nicely stated.

Askheman - I can somewhat understand your frustration that there was a mistake with your last order. It's a bit shocking though that if you've been buying from them for years and have been satisfied all those years that you would let one bad experience turn you away from a great company who is willing to make good on their mistake.

13. Thanks PrettyCurious, Kimber4444 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iluvbaking View Post
    Askheman - I can somewhat understand your frustration that there was a mistake with your last order. It's a bit shocking though that if you've been buying from them for years and have been satisfied all those years that you would let one bad experience turn you away from a great company who is willing to make good on their mistake.
    My thoughts exactly. Everyone deserves a second chance, especially if they have been doing well by you for years and slip up just one time.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

15. Thanks Kimber4444 thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I love the vision that Alan, David and Sarah had for the company, and I'm so thankful for their entrepreneurship skills. And Jenny just seems as legitimately genuine as they come. I'm thankful I've had the opportunity to get up there several times, and to have had the opportunity to talk to Jenny and Sarah.

Honestly, the systems I saw in place in February were great! I was blown away by all of the forethought that went into everything I saw it in the stores and the warehouse. I just know that you guys are always looking for ways to improve, and I just wanted to take a moment to let you know what I noticed on the CS end. And I know you guys have tremendously improved wait times on the phone, so kudos on that!

Thanks for receiving my comments in the spirit it was intended! Keep on keeping on with the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by BillNye View Post
    This is great feedback. I'll make sure we train better on that.

Honestly, the issue we're battling right now is our inventory. When I built the system, I built it thinking we'd never grow to the size we have. But all our inventory was just in one pot, now with the 14 stores and adding the second warehouse, it's becoming a huge issue. Imagine ordering 5 yards of fabric, we look in the warehouse, it's not there, must be in the stores, we send it up to the stores, it's not there, maybe it was in a customers hands or in a van getting transported back and forth, we'll look again, and so on, times thousands of orders. The days add up and there's a lot to do.

Thankfully we are building interim systems (this may include buying more inventory (a hard thing to do because it ties up your cash you normally use to run a business in inventory), making our overnight crew bigger since our daytime crew is normally busy with running the shops now, different than the old days when no one would come visit)), as well as spending more money than we've ever spent on a great big sophisticated inventory system that we are several months into implementing. The new warehouse will give us 100k more sq ft to organize fabric and cutting in, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is the same thing I seem to always be saying - "I promise it's getting better". I know that doesn't fix these issues, but even customer service is getting some special love and attention right now as we setup more training and try and build in accountability so we can help our customer service people get better.

In the meantime, if you're not getting a good response from customer service, feel free to email me - alan@missouriquiltco.com and I'll nudge stuff along. But we are building, hiring (we are 350 employees now, and hiring a few managers and directors to help get that up a bit more to handle all this better - can I just tell you how hard it is to run a company with 350 employees? It's unlike anything I've ever done, and I'm learning more every day!) Please don't give up on us for good, give us shots as we get better, please??!

17. Thanks auntiemern, Monique thanked for this post