Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default mini periwinkle template help making blocks

I have the mini template and papers to make a baby quilt, however I have just found an update video on how to get the points right using the large template.. Could anyone please tell me do I need to use the same principle with the mini template or not? I was very confident to have a go until I seen the update tutorial and I am know good with guessing anything so now feeling very disappointed and a bit annoyed I have purchased these items.

thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mini periwinkle template help making blocks

I went back and watched the three videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1ydCf1HmI Small Periwinkle video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1ydCf1HmI Large Periwinkle video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1ydCf1HmI Update video

Based on the comments posted by viewers, even with the Small Periwinkle you will lose a small portion of your point, so yes, I would say you probably need to adjust accordingly.

I know that Jenny & her team work hard to avoid these types of oops, but I also know that they are only human and mistakes sometimes happen.

I would suggest that you use some scrap fabric, and make a few to get the feel for how much you need to adjust the background fabric placement before cutting into your desired fabric choice.

Another suggestion I would like to make to you, and to anyone else who relies on the videos for inspiration and instruction, always wait a week or two before jumping on the project, and go back to the video and read the comments. I have found that there are much more experienced quilters who see the issues, and have suggestions to overcome them.

3. Thanks stationarymom, auntiemern, abbie, seaturtle thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those re great suggestions

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You should not be losing your points if you are attaching the segments correctly. Go back and watch the tutorial again. You need to line up your side pieces to the outside edge, sew, finger press and do the other side. Look at the video at 4:10 min. (approximately). When your section (3 pcs) is completed, note if you have the 1/4" allowance at the point; if not, re-do it. Once you get the hang of it on a couple, it will go quickly and you will definitely have your points in tact. Hope this helps!

I made this mini perriwinkle quilt and did not have issues. I decided to use a sashing inbetween each block. This eliminated matching up more points. It was a bit lazy on my part, but I needed to hurry this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mini Periwijnkle (800x600).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	136053  

6. Thanks catmama635, auntiemern, abbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in, Sharyn. I have the papers and intend to make it someday, and I hadn't heard about lost points. Yours turned out great!
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some of these pics will help. For things to work out properly, it is really important that you have a 1/4" seam when attaching your side sections. Measure it or draw it, if necessary, but you must have 1/4" seam allowance or you will not get your seam allowance on the outside points or match up the inner section.

Join two sections together for one-half of the block. Then repeat for the other half side and join together for one completed block.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	136055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	136056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	136057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	136058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw joins.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	136059  

Last edited by Sharyn J; October 6th, 2016 at 06:40 PM.

9. Thanks catmama635, auntiemern, abbie, seaturtle thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much , that is how I was going to do it but when I watched the updated video and Jenny was placing the fabric at a angle ( not level with the first pieces of material ) I was completely stumped.. I will have a go and see what happens..

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

OH my goodness that is just beautiful , what an awesome job you have done.. LOVE IT.. feeling a bit more confident now after seeing your beautiful quilt. I am going to have a play with some scrap fabric and see how I go.. thanks again.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Caroline T.. I will attempt both ways today at my sewing day and see what happens. I am a very new sewer and much less quilter so a bit unsure of myself and my abilities.. You made some good points I will take on board for future. .

have a lovely happy healthy week ahead..

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Look at your template. There should be a solid line 1/4" in from the edge all the way around. If the solid line comes to a point at the bottom then you don't have to make any adjustment to keep your points. The wacky web template that was first used for periwinkle blocks is wider at the bottom and the finished piece doesn't come to a point when the side pieces are added.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*