Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steam Press Machines

Hi...Got it into my head that I may "need"/"want" a steam press machine. Have never used one, and can't find a lot of info or reviews from quilters/sewers who have used them. So, like any good quilter, I go to the people who seem to know the most....you guys!
    Do any of you have a steam press machine? What are your thoughts, good or bad on it? Any particular brand that is pretty reliable? How do you use it, what do you press?
    Any info you care to share would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much
    Murphy
    who is thinking of her birthday/Christmas list.....lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Steam Press Machines

I have a Singer Steam Press and I love it! Hancock Fabrics (now gone) had them last Christmas and my kids got one for me for Christmas. I think it was about $200. Look on Amazon, they have a bunch of them available with reviews from users. I make a lot of bags, all using interfacings, it is great for attaching interfacings. Not sure of a reason a quilter might use one, except to smooth wrinkles and creases in fabric before cutting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also had one. I got rid of it since it didn't have top steam. I'd worked in a cleaners as a kid and used to go back and press when the pressers got behind usually when folks got winter clothes out of storage. This small press no way equals those professional machines.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Steam Fast that I love. Found it at Goodwill for $8.00

Nothing wrong with it. Was missing the water pour cup which is not a big deal.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response Jean. I was thinking the interfacing on bags would be much easier with a press. Do you use a pressing sheet to protect your machine from those pesky adhesives or is it able to do the job with no problem? I am in the process of making a bag that believe it or not had over 40 pattern pieces and they all had to be interfaced in one way or another. Took me the better part of an afternoon to just cut and fuse all those pieces. I am thinking that ironing wrinkles out of yardage before cutting would be much easier too. Fat quarters come to mind as they always need a press before you can do anything with them.
    Do you have yours on a stand or is it able to be used on a table?
    I have about convinced myself that I do need one! I did check on Amazon and they have a couple of candidates with pretty high ratings. The Steamfast model looks nice. Gonna study on it a couple more days.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alpha O! I am looking more for "pressing space" than steam. Don't use steam much now, a spray bottle works better for me, so the steam would just be an added bonus.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used a pressing cloth, so I do have little stripes of adhesive glue on the ironing pad. I have used it to smooth out creases, especially on fat quarters that are wrapped around a card.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut my interfacing 1/4" smaller then the piece it needs to adhere to. That way the adhesive is only hitting the fabric.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I love my press. I use it with spray starch, steam and sometimes a spray bottle of water. It is excellent for taking wrinkles out of fat quarters and is also excellent for removing wrinkles from jelly roll strips if you lay them lengthwise on the pressing service. I also use mine for pressing jeans. My most favorite use is fusible interfacing. A good spritz with water and then put the lid down. If you get fusible on the cover, you can always launder it. If you get fusible on the metal press, use iron cleaner and it comes right off. I am on a purse making fetish right now and having a ball with it. So many things to do and not enough time to get all of them done. Mine sits on a low chest.