Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where We Live Makes A Difference

I was reading a post on the forum where a lady said she didn't know if she would take classes on her new machine because the dealer was 40 minutes away. I live in Texas. I drive 45 minutes ONE WAY just to buy groceries and pick up prescriptions once a week so we will have fresh veggies. I am used to living in the country where groceries and other necessities are not close by. It just strikes me how different our life styles are depending on where we live. My husband and I regularly drive 3 hours one way to visit our grand kids. Then turn around and come home in the same day because we have animals to care for. Isn't it amazing the things that are totally out of the question for some because of the inconvenience and are an every day thing to others. I love online shopping for quilting supplies because I don't have those supplies locally. Missouri Star has changed my life. If I have time when I go grocery shopping, I love to browse the local quilt shops, Joanne's, and Hobby Lobby. I look for sales and try to use coupons whenever possible. Just thought once again how diverse our United States of America is. Some of our states are almost like foreign countries we are so different.

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Sandy Navas, Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where We Live Makes A Difference

We've lived in Oklahoma for nearly 8 years. At our old home in Ohio we were no more than 10 minutes away from church, groceries, library, drug stores, post office.... anything we needed.

Now we're an hour away from church, 25 minutes from LQS, Walmart, post office, etc.

I did see the post you referenced, and we're about 40 miles from Tulsa, so about an hour away. I'm still not used to the long drives and really appreciate UPS and USPS!! But yes, it is funny that we can all live in the States, but have amenities at such different distances.

As an aside, I told my missionary friend that we lived in the boonies, and that it takes an hour to get places. He told me that was nothing.... he has to travel 4 hours (they're in Australia). I told him I'd quit calling it the boonies. LOL

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I laugh at city folks because it takes them 20 minutes to go 5 miles in their city, so they can't fathom driving 20 miles for anything. They just don't know once you get out of the city, you can go 5 miles in 5 minutes.
    I do live on the outskirts of a bigger small town now. I love what stores it has, and do not wish it to have more. I am growing tired of my 35 mile drive to work, though, because of the cities I have to pass through to get there. I'm hoping to get hired locally.

45 mintutes to a specially shop? That's if yer lucky. That's ok, though because I sure wouldn't want to live in a city. They have some crazy rules. I used to live in a rural city, that got too big for it's briches. I got a ticket for having a bale of straw on my own porch, with some pumpkins on top for halloween. The straw was said to cause blight. This was on a dirt road with all homes on an acre, mind you. When they installed city water, and required us to hook up, it was time to move. I will not drink that treated sewer water that they sell.

5. Thanks shirleyknot thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't live in the boonies, but I drive a couple hours once a month to hang out with some friends who live further away. And yet I hear people complain that 45 min is too long of a drive. I guess it just depends on how much you want to do whatever is at the end of your trip!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I live close to Atlanta which is a driver's worst nightmare. We live about 15 miles from my DH's work and it takes him at least an hour to get there because of the traffic. It is not unusual to sit through the same traffic light through 3 or 4 light changes because of traffic. We went to the forum retreat this week and laughed how in Missouri, if you drive an hour, you actually went somewhere!
    Cindy

8. Thanks auntiemern, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a residential area of a big city, two blocks from the ocean. I have, bakery, supermarkets, drugstore, icecream shop, excellent resturants, a day clinic, my GP, shoe repair, office supply store , coffee shops, movie theater etc all walking distance . Clothes and sewing suplies 20 minute drive . I never thought I would like city living but since I don't drive anymore I am content. Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive. Now I do have some too close neighbors form H. And some really nice ones.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago (we have since moved) I told a friend that I had to drive 30 whole minutes to get to Joanne's. She lives in Nantucket and had no sympathy for my looooong drive. She reminded me that if she wants to go to Joanne's or any quilt shop that it requires a boat ride or plane ride to get there. Sure does put things in perspective doesn't it? LOL!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is fun to notice the difference isn't it? It just goes to show you how varied life is in the US even though we may think we are the same we aren't. I tend to notice how people describe distance - either it's in time or miles.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is about 30 minutes from me, so I have just gotten use to it and plan accordingly. When I go to the grocery store or Sam's, I just stock up. Luckily, I am only an hour from M*! I notice it the most when we go to CT to our son's. They walk to everything! A very different lifestyle!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I live far enough out in the boonies that a good GPS can't find me. The nearest ANYthing is 45 minutes.